Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Toyota Supra

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2003 | 09:52 PM
Silverbullet951
Race Car

Default Toyota Supra

As you guys know, I've been contemplating selling my car for a more reliable car for a while now. I've been thinking about the Supra Mark 4. More reliablilty and strength from another motor you can't get, and I can get one in the mid 20's. I've spoken with previous 951 owners who now own supras and they say that I would be extremely happy with one. I know the handling won't be as great as our cars, but I can still set it up to be a very fast, well handling car. What do you guys think? I'm seriously thinking about it. Let me know.

Thanks guys for everything.
Old 12-16-2003 | 09:55 PM
Silverbullet951
Race Car

Also I forgot to mention, that I don't neccessarily need to sell me car. My 951 would be more of a weekend car rather than a daily driver because I absolutely love it to death. I just want a more reliable daily driver.

Thanks again.
Old 12-16-2003 | 10:02 PM
Eyal 951
Nordschleife Master

actually, the supra does handle better then our cars, at least according to the numbers. skid pad rating of 1.03g! you are talking about the TT right? If you can get a good one in the 20s, thats not a bad price at all. the engine internals are bomb proof. If you can afford it, definitely get it, but keep the 951 if you can.
~Eyal
Old 12-16-2003 | 10:07 PM
Silverbullet951
Race Car

Thanks for the reply. Wow I didn't know the Supra handled better than our cars.

Yea, I was thinking about keeping the 951. And I would only get a TT 6 speed, nothing else. I actually saw one for sale: a 95 TT with only 40K miles i think. Asking 25K. That's a steal!
Old 12-16-2003 | 10:33 PM
Matt H
Race Director

On paper that may be true but they feel like pregnant elephants on the street. Ask any racer why you NEVER see them on track! At 25K for what you have described it is almost certainly not a clean title car. They can make BUTT LOADS of HP. The later cars have a better HG design as it was a very common failure on the MkIII. Did I mention they can make BUTT LOADS of power? The problem I see is that you want to go to it as a daily driver and I just dont see that. You will find yourself screwing with it constantly, just tinkering. The Supra guys refer to BPU (base performance upgrades, intake, exhauste, etc, etc, etc.) Very fast in a line when modified. Excellent ergonomics. If it wasnt for the way they feel I might have one instead, I just cant get into the way they drive (FYI, I was JUST talking to my wife about buying one to toy with!)
Old 12-16-2003 | 10:43 PM
Eyal 951
Nordschleife Master

Yea, a 40K 95 TT 6-speed for 25K is either a salvage title, wrong, or someone who really doesn't know what he/she has. The 6 speeds are so rare, they command a large premium over what the auto TT's already get. your looking at least mid thirty thousands range. show us the ad to this one if its on the internet.
~Eyal
P.S. did Matt H accuratly mention that they can make BUTT LOADS of power, cause they can. Iv seen 800+ HP examples on stock internals.
Old 12-16-2003 | 10:48 PM
roco16
Instructor

For what it is worth: A few weekends my friend and I took the 951 to Road Atlanta on track day and there was a huge Supra meet.... got to see some monster muscle cars (thats what supras are, essentially). I also got to see one throw a rod and dump it's oil all over the track (In the rear view mirror, I might add )

If I had the 25k for a muscle car, I'd probably go classic american V8... at least it won't have the cheesy (in my opinion) interior that the Supra has and leave the 951 for the turns.
Old 12-16-2003 | 10:50 PM
blitz951
Pro

Silverbullit951,

I am not so sure the SupraTT is as good of a handling car once you set up the 951 right but I know for a fact you can waste just about any car in a drag race with bolt ons and as mentioned the car is bullit proof. It can take 30psi and not worry about blown head gaskets, etc... The flip side is I have seen people sell there 951's and get other cars, including Supras and they regret it so try and keep your car, 951's are special.
If a Supra TT is available I would get it because they are real hard to find.
Old 12-16-2003 | 11:01 PM
Matt H
Race Director

They are not that hard to find, but a Non-Auto is getting tough. The tranny's are in high demand too, they are used for every conversion under the sun (my next project was to be a 600HP SC300 using a Supra engine and 6 speed). There are loads of auto Supra Turbos out there. IMHO, they are all well over market value and that is being proven true as price has come down significantly in the last 6 months. F&F did not help, most of them are modded, riced, or total junk. To find a clean, unmolested one you are going to pay dearly. I used to hang with that crowd and you werent even really "coo" until you were at the 600HP mark. I have seen one put a little over 1100HP down. They fry clutches at that power but it can be done, if you have the money to spend (Tilton now make a triple plate clutch for the Supra which should greatly increase the lifespan). There is one running around Dallas with plates that rear 846 H.P., kinda makes my 400 H.P. (a little optimistic, if I ever finish) look a little weak :>)
Old 12-16-2003 | 11:50 PM
v944god
Addict
Rennlist Member

I have a friend who just bought a salvaged 96' 6-speed targa top TT. He bought the car from Florida, had it shipped to NJ, and the shipping company pretty much robbed his targa, and a few parts off the car. The car was pretty much DIRT CHEAP. He told me they sold it so cheap he couldn't help not to buy it. The body needs work, turbos are shot, but the engine + trans are perfect. The car has real low miles. So far he replaced the turbos, and now its time to fix the body damage on the car.

I don't know how he gets the money, but he's an IT guy. So far he's got a IS300, 240sx, and a Supra TT in his collection.
Old 12-17-2003 | 01:12 AM
scottz
Advanced

My friend at work took me out for a spin last week in him almost 700 HP Supra. Quite a rush from 50 to 100, as well as launches very well. He has an automatic and claims that it is much easier to race than the stick. Basically he revs the engine while holding the brake, waits for the green light, mashes the gas and releases the brake. He has spent around $45K total into it. If I had the money it would be in my top 5 cars to own.
Old 12-17-2003 | 01:28 AM
v944god
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally posted by scottz
My friend at work took me out for a spin last week in him almost 700 HP Supra. Quite a rush from 50 to 100, as well as launches very well. He has an automatic and claims that it is much easier to race than the stick. Basically he revs the engine while holding the brake, waits for the green light, mashes the gas and releases the brake. He has spent around $45K total into it. If I had the money it would be in my top 5 cars to own.
LOL brake boosting.. thats what most people do in those cars. They build up the boost so the engine doesn't bog down, and once they let off the brake, the boost is high enough to get some tire spin in.
Old 12-17-2003 | 02:44 AM
daniel951
Race Car

My friend bought a supra not to long ago it was a 94 with only 60k miles on it for $25k. He had to fly to Washington for it though but it was in almost perfect condition. He just bought a BPU kit and me and my other friends are going to go and have our cars dynoed.
Old 12-17-2003 | 02:45 AM
daniel951
Race Car

ohh ya i forgot to mention it was a 6speed. He also had a 94 NA Supra that be bought for $15k
Old 12-17-2003 | 02:45 AM
Dan Gallagher
Drifting

bmw is what you want to daily drive, buying another turbocharged manual transmission sports car and calling it a daily driver is like buying a honda civic and calling it a race car.

Quick Reply: Toyota Supra