Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Toyota Supra

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2003 | 12:28 AM
Perry 951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally posted by Dan Gallagher
bmw is what you want to daily drive, buying another turbocharged manual transmission sports car and calling it a daily driver is like buying a honda civic and calling it a race car.
After reading all 5 pages of this post, this is by far the best reply. LOL!!!
Old 12-28-2003 | 09:16 AM
Silverbullet951
Race Car

I actually missed THAT post...
Old 02-23-2004 | 09:03 PM
badkarma
Intermediate

Silverbullet951,

I owned 2 951's before my mkiv supra. I had a 87 and a 89 Turbo S with huntley stage 3 MAF etc. Supra's are great Grand Touring cars, comfortable, powerful and great daily drivers. In the past 3-4 years of ownership, I've probably spent 1000$C on "maintenance" only (ie. wear items, fluid changes, etc). If anyone said they only spent a grand on 951 maintenance over 4 years they're lying through their teeth, otherwise the car's had little mileage over that 4yrs. Mind you I've tracked the car quite a few times as well. The only thing I miss from my 951's is that solid porsche stability feeling at high speeds. German cars are just engineered for sustained high speed driving, and they're very good at that. I just drove my friend's 993TT yesterday, man I miss that Porsche feel, I'm just not willing to spend a couple G's a year in maintenance.

Some people mentioned "trackable" hp. The supra at BPU level in my opinion in trackable at 350rwhp. 16psi and straight through exhaust will give you that. Some ppl run 21+psi in drag form and run 11s 1/4mile runs but I've never been into drag racing. Mind you when I ran OTC in my friend's highly modded Supra, I was sold on the Supra's motor. We beat the living **** out of that motor and it still runs fine. Stuff like overboosting to 30+psi, blowing off the FPR hose, running into fuel starvation out of corners(fuel pump installed incorrectly). You really would have to be a moron to blow a 2JZ-GTE.

As for handling, well, it's fully independent suspension all around, weight balance isn't bad, fairly close to 50/50 but the car is a FAT PIG. It normally weighs in at 3600-3700lbs which you can really feel. Especially after tracking an Integra Type R back to back =D With proper suspension and a diet, a supra would be an excellent track car.

Braking. The Supra's got great brakes, and the reason why people don't upgrade is financial usually. I don't know of anyone racing Supra's in endurance races prolly because the platform is too heavy to start with. But Supra stock rotors are a nice size 12.6"x1.1" I believe, and super cheap 50US each. When you weigh in the cost for upgrades to Stoptech and price of rotors, it makes more sense to just buy new OEM rotors every race, or every year.

I think my advice to would be not to get manufacturer blind. I see all these ppl talking about how Porsche's are the best car's in the world, you hear ppl say the Supra's the best handling car in the world(bull@#$). If I was buying something with history, I'll buy a painting, not a car. Take a Supra for a spin, see how you like it. Take other cars out, don't set your sights on only one car. Take perhaps a WRX? 968? RX7? older 911 out, try them all and see how they suit you. If you need any more info on going from a 951 to a Supra feel free to PM me.

PS. If you're already set on a Supra and find a 6sp hardtop for a decent price, jump on it. They're lighter more rigid and very limited in North America.
Old 02-23-2004 | 09:59 PM
Silverbullet951
Race Car

Yea,

Thanks for the advice, but I'm staying with the 951. I saw a few around and they look so cheap IMO. Not good quality. The styling on my 951 is much better, and the interior is MUCH better. As for the power potential, I can easily mod my car to get 450 at the wheels, lighten it, and i'll have the same power to weight of even a 600 RWHP supra. I still own a porsche, and I can agree with everyone when they say, there is no substitute.
Old 02-24-2004 | 01:42 AM
J Chen
Drifting

How about looking for a way
to transplant the 2JZ into our
cars ? Bullet proof engine &
no need to spend mega dollars
to get BIG HP.
Old 02-24-2004 | 01:58 AM
turbite
Burning Brakes

Originally posted by J Chen
to get BIG HP.
Hahaha, Talk about a dream car.

My guess is that it just won't fit, but then again someone over on the NA board put a ford v8 in the NA.

Old 02-24-2004 | 04:58 AM
porshhhh951
Monkeys Removed by Request
Lifetime Rennlist

to get BIG HP.
first off this is one dead thread. Secondly I think that is a very very interesting idea. I wonder is someone around has ever done anything like that before. I highly doubt it but, would be something very different and unique. I did see a 930 once with a 4g63 powerplant. lol. What a joke.
Old 02-24-2004 | 05:01 AM
badkarma
Intermediate

Originally posted by porshhhh951
first off this is one dead thread. Secondly I think that is a very very interesting idea. I wonder is someone around has ever done anything like that before. I highly doubt it but, would be something very different and unique. I did see a 930 once with a 4g63 powerplant. lol. What a joke.
Someone dropped one into a 3rd gen rx7. That thing must have handled like crap, cast iron block. Dropping a 2JZGTE into a 951 would probably handle like a V8 miata. hehe.
Old 02-24-2004 | 06:15 AM
Danno
Race Director

Then there was that 912 that was upgraded with a 3-cylinder Geo Metro engine! Did you guys see that mid-engine V8 951 that was used for 9-sec. 1/4-mile passes? I think a mid-engined JZ 1000hp 951 would be quite a blast for road-racing.... hmmm... hmmm..
Old 02-24-2004 | 07:14 AM
J Chen
Drifting

Het Guys,
Joke aside, I was talking to someone
who has lots of experience doing this
kind of conversion. Actually the ideal
engine for our cars is to use the Mazda
Cosmo 20B turbo engine which is only
available in Japan. That would be a killer
conversion & not to mention killer fuel
consumption as well
Old 02-24-2004 | 12:10 PM
TurboTim
Banned

If you have ever had a chance to drive a Supra over 200 mph then some of your views about it being a boat anchor might change:^)
Old 02-24-2004 | 12:18 PM
TurboTim
Banned

Het Guys,
Joke aside, I was talking to someone
who has lots of experience doing this
kind of conversion. Actually the ideal
engine for our cars is to use the Mazda
Cosmo 20B turbo engine which is only
available in Japan. That would be a killer
conversion & not to mention killer fuel
consumption as well

Unfortunately rotaries will not tolerate detonation at all(one ping and you are usually done) which means you will be replacing your apex seals with the ceramic versions. Kind of hard to swallow spending $2400 bucks on a package the size of a pack of bubble gum.I would rather spend the $2400 on rods,pistons and sleeves instead of 9 tiny little ceramic seals.
Old 02-24-2004 | 07:18 PM
porshhhh951
Monkeys Removed by Request
Lifetime Rennlist

Rotories don't last for **** ask me how I know. I have owned three rx7's a 87 model a 89 turbo 2 and a 94 touring. All the biggest pieces of **** you have ever seen. The drive well, I like the braking, But, they arent reliable in the least. I can't tell you how many of my friends have gone through motors and turbo's. 30k on a stock motor without rebuild is very rare. They just don't last. Don't even get me started on the lastest piece of **** the rx8. I talked to the factory rep and he said oh we fixed the rotary problem....no you didn't you just got rid of the turbo's...you didn't do ****. He tried arguing with me that the reason I had so many problems with all of my rx7's was because of the aftermarket part's I put on their. Then I showed him some of my friends who drove stock 93-95 3rd gen's with 35k miles having to replace motor's and turbo's.....he didn't try debating with me much after that. I think the auto rx8 comes with 197 crank hp....holy crap I am gonna spend 25+ grand on a car that has 150-170 rwhp....I don't think so. All of the rx8's are under rated. That's why the factory had that press release changing the rating from 250 to 227(is that the right number) anyway's they handle well, brake well, look pretty cool but, are slow as ****, and arent going to last.....hmm....I will find another way to spend my 30 grand thankyou very much.

Quick Reply: Toyota Supra