Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Toyota Supra

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2003 | 06:08 PM
Mike S
Three Wheelin'

Car & Driver listed it at 0.95G

http://www.mkiv.com/publications/car&driver/

I swore that I read another Car and Driver article though (maybe road and track) around the same time that stated a 1.03G number as well. I can't remember really well, but I thought it was a stock car with bigger sway bars and shaved street tires. Anyways.....0.95 is really nice for 1997.
Old 12-17-2003 | 06:46 PM
Silverbullet951
Race Car

Thanks for all the opinions guys, but I think I'm going to stick with the supra. Eventually I'll want a car with insane power. My cousin mark (also a rennlister: 03' 996 TT) had an E46 M3 and it was quick, but it was no big deal. Any 330 would be a waste in my book. My other cousin has the audi A4, and my real good friend dominic has the 540 already. My family is full of fanatics of cars so we've driven almost every car you can imagine. WIth that said, I'll stick with the Mark 4. I'm going to keep my 951 but I'll use it for autocross and track runs. I'll definitely be modding both of them in the future. I'll just need to look for a nice example of them. Any of you guys know any common problems with them? I heard some of them have had tranny problems. Thanks again guys.
Old 12-17-2003 | 07:13 PM
UDPride
Thinking outside da' bun...
Lifetime Rennlist

I dont think youll be disappointed in the Supra. The scary thing is Toyota Motor Corp could have easily incorporated a few inexpensive modifications in the production run and sold the car for pennies more (I think they were around $37-40K new) and delivered a car off the showorom floor with 500 horsepower and some big torque numbers and would have retained 98% of the reliability in the engine which, being a Toyota, is already more reliable than just about anything anyway. This is Toyota, not Lamborghini. The other good thing is modding the Supras isnt all that expensive for a quick 200-300 horsepower bump from stock 320. As you get over 600-700 you have to get a little more creative and the added horses are going to cost you more but they are there if you want to spend the money. And the mods will last because the engine is like a swiss watch.

I have to credit them on it. Never driven a Mark 4 but my mother had an 86 Supra auto and it was a bulletproof car in every way. Just terrible in the snow though. About as bad as a 951, but not quite.
Old 12-17-2003 | 07:34 PM
Eyal 951
Nordschleife Master

Glad to hear your sticking with the Supra, make sure we get pictures of your new black supra!
~Eyal
Old 12-17-2003 | 11:54 PM
Silverbullet951
Race Car

Thanks guys. That's the thing, the power will be there when I need it and minor mods will get me insane power. So, I'll be looking for a newer MK4 and I'll definitely let you all know. Thanks for all the opinions and help.

Cristiaan
Old 12-18-2003 | 11:11 AM
turbo944
Three Wheelin'

Check out also, http://www.speedforsale.com I believe it is. They are located not too far from here and specialize in selling MK4 Supras. $25K is not a ridiculous price for a fairly nice around here. However before the first F&F movie, you could get a 93/94 model for $18-19K with the TT and 6-speed.

I have been an owner of a MKIII Supra and driven and been around some of the MKIVs. Yes, because of reliability they can be great daily drivers. However, unless its under warranty or the local dealer gets a lot of them in their shop (yeah, right), most Toyota dealers don't have a clue about the TT cars or their turbo systems. I saw that plenty on the MKIV forum when I was on there (then the price started going up and I knew I wasn't going in that direction for a while).

The horsepower is fantastic, but like my MKIII, the MKIV feels like a much bigger car (it is bigger than the 951) and it feels it with the weight. The steering numbness is fairly high, but it's not really too overboosted as some luxo cars can be. As for power, a guy with a 97 stock one ran it on the dyno and got over 300 RWHP without touching anything on the car. His car was making a lot more power than would be expected....a lot of these cars seem to be making much more than the factory says when they are stock.

These cars can be made to handle very well and they can run rings around a LOT of cars on the road courses, don't let anyone fool you. The MKIV guys have quite a few of them that run some roadcourse stuff and the MKIV has something the others Jap turbo cars didn't really have was very good brakes out of the standard package.

The only big problem I see is that you'll get used to 500+ hp very quickly and the 951 will seem slow by comparison The 951 though feels more alive and exudes its heritage in the car. The Supra does feel a bit plasticky to me.

If I had to pick a car in that range and I wasn't getting me a 928S4 or maybe a GT, or a 930, the Supra MKIV would be a good bet for my money.
Old 12-18-2003 | 04:22 PM
stoked944
Racer

If your in the 20 to 30k price range, why not look at a wrx or sti. even though they are turbo they are still very reliable, and very easy to work on from what i hear. they are good even in the winter, because of the awd. plus they are great performers.
Old 12-18-2003 | 04:34 PM
Dave951M
Addict
Rennlist Member

Finally a post that mentioned brakes. Big HP isn't worth spit without good brakes and that figures heavily into Porsche's racing success. I've heard from several track types that the Supra does indeed make good power, can be made to handle great, but the stock brakes leave lots to be desired. Same guys also said that when the Supra's brakes were fried, negating any HP advantage, the Porsche brakes were still working perfectly. So, has anyone else heard the same or similar about the brakes on the Supra?
Old 12-19-2003 | 03:10 AM
pig4bill
Burning Brakes

Originally posted by Matt H
On paper that may be true but they feel like pregnant elephants on the street. Ask any racer why you NEVER see them on track!
What a crock!

What do you call this? One Lap Supra

Or this? Open Track Challenge Supra
Old 12-19-2003 | 03:46 AM
emwporsche
Three Wheelin'

I didn't find anything worth looking at on either site.

a shop I went to had a 600-800 hp (I don't remember) supra
the owner autocrossed it.

The main complaint:
it's too heavy, and will always be too heavy.
Old 12-19-2003 | 08:50 AM
Dave951M
Addict
Rennlist Member

From every set of stats I've seen, in stock form it's a 3 liter engine, 3500lb car. Not one site has given the rotor diameter and brake swept area for this car. I'd like to know just how the Supra brakes stack up against Porsche.
Old 12-19-2003 | 09:50 AM
Mike Buck
Addict
Rennlist Member

IIRC, the front rotors on a TT are 12.8" , 4 piston caliper. Rears are smaller, with only a 2 piston caliper. Not bad for street car needs, but certainly lacking for a track driven car . . . when considering their weight and power potential.

IMHO, it'd be like piloting a 3000lb, 350rwhp 951 with stock "non-S" baby Brembo's. Not my idea of fun.
Old 12-19-2003 | 09:58 AM
facboy
Burning Brakes

lol on that first site, check out the guy on the left in the photo. what is up with that?!? it's either a terrible photoshop effort, or else he was wearing a cardboard cut-out of someone's face!

Old 12-19-2003 | 10:09 AM
Loki
Instructor

My friend bought a '94 or '96 Supra TT that dynoed at almost 1000 rwhp and pulled a 10.41 quarter, stock bottom end. The car is a blast as long as your driving straight but the soft suspension makes me tip toe around the corners. The car has HKS springs, Koni yellows and strut braces but still feels soft compared to my 951.
I suggested getting heavier springs, but was unable to determine the spring rate for the HKS. After searching a little on the internet he was not able to find any springs that listed the poundage. It seems you have a choice between drag kits and performance kits. I was under the impression you could order performance springs with varied spring rates like we do for our cars.

Chris
'86 951
Old 12-19-2003 | 10:46 AM
Dave951M
Addict
Rennlist Member

Ok, so the rotors stock are 12.8", what are the dimensions of the pads? That's how you figure brake swept area. Used in conjuction with the weight of the vehicle, it can give a fair estimation of stopping ability.

Even on this forum, lots of guys are lusting after high hp numbers. While cool and something of an indicator of a car's quickness, there is soooo much more to the picture. A bulldozer makes good hp numbers, but is nothing you'd attempt to track. That's why I like to hear more than the total hp made.

Quick Reply: Toyota Supra