Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Link 2 / vitesse TO4E rocks.........

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2003, 08:05 PM
B951S
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Link 2 / vitesse TO4E rocks.........

Having got through installing my Link 2 stand alone with terminated harness and Vitesse To4e, I am pretty impressed.

The Link 2 is a solid product, no issues with running. Starts, idles, drives perfectly, no stumbling etc. Its a very nice stand alone. The PD harness caused some minor grief but nothing I could not fix. I have left some good feedback with Neil at PD so if anyone buys one make sure to check with me so you can make sure they have these 'revisions' in place. BTW, PD are an excellent company to do buisiness with. Anyway, very nice unit, great flexibility, all kinds of drivability and convienience features. very clever Closed loop knock system, and a trick closed loop bosst contoller, closed loop self tuning..... I love it. My only complaint is that I wish the timing and fuel tables were scaleable. i.e. if you only wanted to runa 6500rpm red line with 20psi you could make these the limits of the table and make use of all the cells. Right now its set up to do 10,000rpm and 30psi so I wil never really use 1/3 of the table! It would sure be nice to use this extra resolution where within the engine working range.

As for the turbo, its a monster! John operates a no b.s. business and I am very happy with the product. Its early days yet but the turbo feel very stong. Still only running 10psi as I think I have a problem with my boost solenoid but I think I am gonna like running this puppy at 18psi. My 55# siemems show only moderate duty cycle so far. Anyway, I'll be out of pocked for a month so more playing with it when I get back. Just need to finish my custom intake j pipe and intercooler hard pipes.......This car is starting to consume me.........can't get enough time!
Old 12-16-2003, 08:09 PM
Mike S
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm a little confused. So did you buy the turbo and link system seperately or is Vitesse now selling the link system?

EDIT: and what made you go with the link 2 system over what vitesse is selling (assuming its different)?

Last edited by Mike S; 12-16-2003 at 08:41 PM.
Old 12-16-2003, 09:06 PM
Ski
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

and I take it PD is Performance Developments?
Old 12-16-2003, 10:07 PM
m42racer
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

B951S,

Glad you like it. I spoke to Neil today and he mentioned that someone had passed along some additions for the harness. They are still learning all the needs of a street 944 engine. He told me they would include the A/C, Turbo water pump and oil level wires. Most do not know this mans experience, or that he is a huge assest to us now. More great stuff is coming for us, and today I saw some of the new parts that PD is doing for my engine. The future is good for us. Many heads in there getting rebuilt with trick seat work etc, and I saw several blocks in there getting the deck plate installed. B951S, I'm glad to see you were impressed also. PD is a graet company. I will beat this drum until more find out this. This is a commercial. As it used to say, I know because I am a user too.
Old 12-16-2003, 10:40 PM
fast951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 37 Likes on 27 Posts

B951S, Glad that you like the turbo.. Make sure you are pointing straight when you pull the trigger
Old 12-16-2003, 10:44 PM
Jeremy Himsel
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just got my Vitesse kit in the mail today. One thing I can say is there are no frills but it's all business. Pretty impressive turbo, appears to be very few wire splices, very functional. Now I just need a little bling?

I've spent quite a chunk of change this last month and after a year or so of "fishing" with other vendors to test their service and products, Vitesse, Lindsey, and Paragon got all of my money. Everything got to me in time, service was great, support has been outstanding. I couldn't find better places to spend my wife's kitchen and Tahoe money if I tried.
Old 12-17-2003, 12:19 AM
B951S
Rennlist Member

Sorry, to clarify, I bought my turbo from John and my engine management from Performace Developments. As for why I never got johns full blow kit?? Well, when I weighed it all up, the extra for a Link 2 was within my budget and I fancied the challange of a stand alone, glad I did as I love it. I know I could have a kick *** system right out of the box with Johns SMT6, but I am actaully looking forward to dialling in my Link 2 and learning along the way. I am a tinkerer at heart.

I should also say apart from the ac/oil level/turbo temp wires in the harness, there were some small pin assignment wires that had my idle soleniod running backwards. Like I said, no big deal.

M24racer, you are right, Neil and PD are a class act, very good people to deal with.
Old 12-17-2003, 03:53 AM
NZ951
Race Director

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

What knock values are you running? I have put the timing ones in and all is well... What knock values do you get at idle?
Old 12-17-2003, 10:28 AM
B951S
Rennlist Member

Andrew,
At idle I get about a 5. TO set up knock, I data logged a varied run, cruise, hard driving, export to XL and scatter graph RPM verus knock value, this gave me the background noise footprint on the engine, I got somthing like this.

Knock base target = 30
Knock ROM start = 2200 RPM
Knock RPM correction = 18

Bear in mind that these values were selected to give me some 'distance' from the noise scatter pattern as for a given RPM the noise will vary a lot. Knock is identified a a significant jump from normal noise and this threshold is defined by the above values. Set them to close to the scatter pattern and the close loop knock will be too sensitive, too far and it will knock without pulling timing. The manual is pretty good at explaining this. Hope this helps.

Did you manage to find out what mechanical advance we should use?

Cheers
Old 12-17-2003, 03:20 PM
NZ951
Race Director

I ran out of time to check the timing, the exhuast I had made was a little off and needed to be corrected. Should find out soon. My knock at idle is variable from 14-50... weird.
Old 12-17-2003, 05:48 PM
michael2e
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

what kind of reference timing sensor does the Link system use?
Old 12-17-2003, 06:55 PM
NZ951
Race Director

Uses the stock one doesnt it?
Old 12-17-2003, 09:16 PM
B951S
Rennlist Member

Yes...Stock speed and postion sensors....plug and play with no upper rpms issues at all.
Old 12-17-2003, 09:20 PM
NZ951
Race Director

What do you think is up with my knock readings?
Old 12-17-2003, 09:24 PM
NZ951
Race Director

Also, does anyone use the trigger plate PD developed for the triggering?

Quick Reply: Link 2 / vitesse TO4E rocks.........