Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Inlet air temps - lets do a comparison

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2003, 04:33 AM
NZ951
Race Director

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Inlet air temps - lets do a comparison

I have just wired up my link ambient air temp sensor in my inlet pipe after the K&N round filter (the stock air box is gone burgers) and before the rubber j-pipe. With a 17 degree ambient air temp. the inlet temp was consistently 30 degrees at speed. Anyone got figures using the stock setup?

Andrew
Old 12-16-2003, 04:50 AM
PorscheLars
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My measurements give nearly the same temperature inside the jpipe asoutside the car with stock inlet.

the MAF gives 5-7 Celcius (10F)higer after the filter. (without the maftrap)

The open Air filter (stock inlet.. open air behind the IC) gives 4-5 (8F)higher temp on easy highway. I havent measured this under hot conditions like trackdriving or simular.

Belive that to mount the filter behind the IC gives the worse conditions when driving hard and hot..
Old 12-16-2003, 05:22 AM
NZ951
Race Director

I will monitor under hotter conditions, but I believe the turbulant air will mean conditions not that much worse... This has to me negated against the straight IC pipe also.
Old 12-16-2003, 05:33 AM
NZ951
Race Director

How the hell do you get 14.5 psi at 2350?
Old 12-16-2003, 05:54 AM
PorscheLars
Advanced

Stock S2 bottom (Rebuild and rebored) all clearances is in the middle of the spec. eksept the cylinders who i made a little bit bigger for fast expanding pistons since nobody could really tell me how this pistons would behave during hard pulls. 4/100mm is 2/100 more than Porsche spec but only the half of many original spec ala cosworth etc.

I belive this force me to change oil in thighter interwalls but also allows me to choose a thicker oil. Like castrol TSW 10-60 or may I stick to the Stuttgarts favorite for this engine Mobil 1 5-50 Rally formula.

The new 0 40 from mobil claims higher viscosity at 150Celsius..than the
5-50.. but all my friends using the 0-40 have much higher oil consuption and therefore change back..

About the pistons.
Some claims this pistons is forged but I am told they are not by the kolbenscmith dealer. And a research says the same.?!

The combustion chamber is modified and material around the plug is removed. (I think the plug go hotter with this design.. I should may go for hotter plugs?

Fully polisched combustion chamber.

I got very soft shapes around the valves due to higher valve position. (maximally shortened the valvestem top to compensate) This reduce the chance to rebuild the cylinderhead to zero.. (everything is possible I know bot I rather prepare a new head..)

delited squiz areas .. (seems to vork fine.. and the S2 works fine without also.. ok I know they did som more resarsch than I did...)

8.5:1 compresion

Lindsey MAF (Works fine)
Kokelen Chips (from the 363 hk lindsey kit, designed for 55 injektors)
55 siemens inj.
Lindsey DPWG
Lindsey II IC
Lindsey AFPR
Lindsey 3" exhaust with Lindsey end muffler. (works betther than I would dream abot. The noise is ok (brand new it have wery raspy sound. but after some driving it get more quiet due to the "black dirt" don't remember the English word.
With this exhaust system the exhaustpressure dropped from abnormal high 22 down to 14 at 14.5 psi boost.
I got no resonanse.

New rebuild gearbox (1988)
Green Bilstein dampers
Larger dim axsels
and new ewerything of the rest..almost..(i think the right headlight is stock)

Turbocervise (Swedish/Norwegian company) K26/27 2.75" flowprepared for
wider powerband. (seems to work fine)

How long this homemade viecle will last.. I dont know but I have bought a spare engine already.. Next time I have learned alot and I may be use the S2 crank and the stock turbo engine for a 2.8 consept, wirh a Lindsey stgII head. all the other parts is reusable..Time will show..

So far this engine seems to work wery well and deliver plenty of drivabilit and power.
Old 12-16-2003, 06:43 AM
Stifler
Track Day

Using a dedicated open air filter concept and frame etc. done correctly gives conciderably more air faster, resulting in better spool-up time and more feed-air in general etc. This set-up usually also has less turbulence than most mafs. The underhood aerodynamic gives quite adequate flow and cooling so this is never critical, if not tampered with, in short, the benefits are greater than the downsides even if the constant intake air can get marginally higher at times. Compared to the stock item that also had hot-spots resulting in radiant heat to intake air during slower driving, a good barrel type filter 951 kit gives a good fit and match to the original resonant tuning of the cars piping and throttle body giving the best combination of flow vs. filtering and has even less turbulance than a cone or a foam. As the standard airbox has one of the highest measured pressure drops in the system the cfm gain is easy to see, even when the factor of the hotter intake air is known on the 951. Best of luck.
Old 12-16-2003, 08:30 AM
PorscheLars
Advanced

I did also put termotech aroud the exhaust and turbo + downpipe. Also a aluminumplate to take away heat rediation betwen the turbo and the inlet. this plate also protect the oil and water supply, and the kompressorhousing from heat radiation from the turbine. The inlet stays cold during driving.
Old 12-16-2003, 08:39 AM
PorscheLars
Advanced

"4/100mm is 2/100 more than Porsche spec but only the half of many original spec ala cosworth etc."

The pistons is wery cone anyway so i dont think this was nessesary..

"
About the pistons.
Some claims this pistons is forged but I am told they are not by the kolbenscmith dealer. And a research says the same.?!
"
Switch forged with cast..

I ment: they are Forged not Cast... Never trust a foreigner..

Quick Reply: Inlet air temps - lets do a comparison