Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

What does the CV have to do with CC?

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2003, 03:56 PM
rhesus
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What does the CV have to do with CC?

I was on a long trip the other day and tried to use my cruise control. When I set it, my car started accelerating and wouldn't stop until I turned the CC off. The only thing I've done since it was working was install chips and remove the CV. Are they related or just coincidence?
Old 12-15-2003, 04:08 PM
JustinL
Drifting

Received 187 Likes on 103 Posts

My N/A used to cruise along nicely and then floor it periodically. That old car... she's got personality.

I think it's probably a control unit fault.

Justin
Old 12-15-2003, 04:25 PM
jerome951
Drifting

Received 72 Likes on 56 Posts

rhesus,

Just coincidence. No interaction between the systems.

What you're experiencing could be the typical cruise control brain failure (cracked internal soldered joints).
You may also have poor grounds which are causing the problem. Clean all the grounds and if the problem continues, find a different cruise control brain. The ground next to the steering column (in the driver's footwell) I think is the main ground for the brain, but also check the main chassis and engine grounds.

The brain is easy to replace, though you have to be physically flexible. Lay on your back with your head in the driver footwell. Look up. Toward the fender you will see a silver box mounted vertically above the footrest. This is the CC brain. 2 bolts hold it in.

Dismantlers usually have them for $75. You can also check the Rennlist mailing list archives as someone on the List resolders them.

Quick Reply: What does the CV have to do with CC?