Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

TonyG Cooling project

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2003, 03:38 AM
HansB
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TonyG Cooling project

TonyG, just wondering how your cooling project is getting along?

We decided to postpone mine with a year. We will for the moment limit us to 2 Mocal oilcoolers, and some revised ducting around the intercooler and radiator.

Topping this off we will make a revised bumper shell with all the holes in the right places, and a splitter.
Old 12-15-2003, 06:54 AM
shortyboy
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 25 Posts

im also wondering hows tony's project is going.i found this somewhere on the net but its kinda similar to what tony is cooking up.

Old 12-15-2003, 07:17 AM
Duke
Nordschleife Master

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally posted by shortyboy
im also wondering hows tony's project is going.i found this somewhere on the net but its kinda similar to what tony is cooking up.
nice! or...interesting!
Old 12-15-2003, 02:25 PM
TonyG
Rennlist Junkie Forever

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hey guys

The cooling project is on hold for several reasons...

1. I need 172 sq. in. of frontal area on each radiator. This means that at 12" wide, I need 14" of height. That won't fit. This means that the radiators would have to be laid down at an angle, or turned to the side at an angle which isn't too much of a problem. But the ducting and fabrication costs would go up.

2. I don't want to fund the entire thing myself. I'm still waiting for a couple of people to kick in for a kit to share the development costs.

So there it is.

Also... I've been having at-length discussions with a company that is interested in building a set of cam towers that will bolt to the 8V head with a removable valve cover up top. This would allow solid lifters to be installed with lash caps, and the lash checked periodically w/o having to remove the cam. Also, it would allow retorqueing of the head w/o having to remove the cam/timing belts, etc...

The net result would be the ability to run much higher rpms than allowable now with hydraulic lifters.

Anybody interested? We'd need at least 5 to start. It wouldn't be cheap, but it would eliminate a ton is issues....

There's HP to be had in them there rpms!

TonyG
Old 12-15-2003, 02:42 PM
Matt H
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

How much is not cheap? What kind of time frame?
Old 12-15-2003, 03:03 PM
Russ Murphy
Drifting

Aaaarrrgh! I can't take the torture any more! All these supercool but superexpensive 951 improvements. I'm going to sue you Tony for all this mental anquish.
Old 12-15-2003, 04:42 PM
TonyG
Rennlist Junkie Forever

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Here's a little more detail on the valve cover thing...

Essentially, what the setup would look like is a set of cam towers bolted to the head with a flange along the bottom, around the head, bolting to the stock valve cover bolt holes.. Then a simple valve cover over the entire setup, bolted to the flange that runs around the head.

With the valve cover removed, you would basically see what you would see if you removed the valve cover off a V8 engine (the entire valve train).

Access to the head bolts, lifter lash caps, cam and cam towers would be trivial as nothing but the valve cover would be removed.

If I can get 5 people (I'm one) that are willing to spend money, we can get then built.

Also, the entire thing (the cam towers and the flange) would be a solid CNC'ed piece.

I'm guessing that it would run around $5k-$10k for a batch of 5.

It ain't gonna be cheap, but if you are serious about these engines, this is a must have item.

Then we can simply run a solid lifter with a lash cap. Also... the ability to have a roller mechanical lifter is possible, which opens up the door to some much better cam ramp profiles, etc...

TonyG
Old 12-15-2003, 04:52 PM
Matt H
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm guessing that it would run around $5k-$10k for a batch of 5.

Sorry, FAR more money than I am willing to spend on this car. Sounds like a very interesting modification though.
Old 12-15-2003, 06:00 PM
Sach951
Pro

Sounds sweet... now need to get out of college...
Old 12-15-2003, 06:42 PM
Duke
Nordschleife Master

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

The cam tower project sounds sweeet!
To bad most mods to raise the rpm in our engines are expensive. As said, rpm is the key to hp!
Old 12-15-2003, 09:17 PM
Joe Jackson
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Tony,

Ever considered doing a casting with some secondary machining (like the stock cam tower)? It would drop that cost way down. If you are willing to share some of your ideas, I can help with the casting part (and possibly kick in some cash).
Old 12-15-2003, 10:56 PM
mochman
Pro

roller lifters kich *** cuz you could get some sick opening and closing profiles I run solid rollers on all my v-8's def. the only way to go.

Quick Reply: TonyG Cooling project