Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

APE to Guru changeout

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2003 | 01:37 PM
Bones944
Burning Brakes

Default APE to Guru changeout

I received my Guru chip upgrade from Danno today, and hurriedly installed it (raining and all, need to clean out the garage, it's full of a boat, lawnmower, and motorcycles etc.). Only installation problems involved the hoses for the reliaboost. I ended up using some fuel line I had laying around to get it kink free. Peformance is much better; no off idle stumble, and pulls much harder to redline. Seems to be smoother and more responsive throughout the entire RPM range. At first the boost was hitting in a "stairstep" effect, kind of hit, pause,hit, pause, then hit and hold. I saw where other users had posted they'd seen the same thing, but mine went away after a few minutes driving. Overall a significant improvement. I'll install the wastegate shims next weekend, damn sure wasn't gonna lay in a wet driveway! Good job Danno!
Next up, exhaust!
Old 12-15-2003 | 07:06 AM
shortyboy
Rennlist Member

if your boost doesnt hit right away you might have a air leak somewhere.try checking your vaccum lines and clamps that holds the intercooler boots.and welcome to the boost addiction.
Old 12-15-2003 | 04:08 PM
Bones944
Burning Brakes

With the APE chips it came on boost smoothly, it was only after installing the Guru chips that I have the stuttering.
Old 12-15-2003 | 06:52 PM
shortyboy
Rennlist Member

then that would be a wastegate issue,i had the samething going until i put in an upgraded wastegate.also get a boost gauge once you put in the wastegate shimms.cause if you put it in now the boost gauge wouldn't be accurate because you have a weak wastegate.just my 2 cents
Old 12-16-2003 | 10:18 AM
cheetah chrome
Addict
Rennlist Member

did you remove the restrictor in the banjo bolt (that came w/ the APEs)? i did the same swap and had same results (used an LBE instead of reliaboost).....much better performance but a midrange stumble. i'm pretty sure my issues is the wastegate being weak, i see the boost bleed of quick in the high rpms. i'm going to install a WG and testpipe so that should fix me up.
Old 12-16-2003 | 04:39 PM
Bones944
Burning Brakes

I was already running an LBE so that's not the issue. I spoke with danno yesterday, and he mentioned mid range richness, and said he was going to send me the version 9 chip as soon as he's done with testing. It goes almost completely away when the motor gets completely warm. I did notice yesterday when the motor is not completely to operating temp, it staggers a bit even when not on boost.
Old 12-16-2003 | 06:50 PM
Jerad
Pro

I have also noticed a bit of stumble at about 2800rpm when the motor is still cold and not on boost. It is usually at partial throttle in gears 1-3 and seems to go away at normal operating temp.

Quick Reply: APE to Guru changeout