Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Coolant overflowing

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2017, 12:55 PM
Jllewan
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Coolant overflowing

i just replaced my front engine crank seal and retorqued the bolt to fix a low oil pressure of 2-3 bars. Now I get 4.5-5.5 bars at startup and can't get the oil pressure to drop back down to 2-3 bars after it is warmed up. After a few minutes the coolant over flow starts to rush out like a open faucet and the engine temp starts to rise. I also replaced the thermostat which was a pain in the a$$. What could be going on? Please advise.
Old 11-25-2017, 12:09 PM
Tom M'Guinn

Rennlist Member

Received 533 Likes on 287 Posts

Originally Posted by Jllewan
i just replaced my front engine crank seal and retorqued the bolt to fix a low oil pressure of 2-3 bars. Now I get 4.5-5.5 bars at startup and can't get the oil pressure to drop back down to 2-3 bars after it is warmed up. After a few minutes the coolant over flow starts to rush out like a open faucet and the engine temp starts to rise. I also replaced the thermostat which was a pain in the a$$. What could be going on? Please advise.

You probably just didn't bleed the coolant system better. Search here for endless tips on how to bleed the system (pressure tester or vacuum fill get my vote). As for the oil pressure, it takes my motor (rebuilt 3 liter with 30k miles) a long time to get the oil pressure down to 2 or 3 at idle and it depends on what weight oil you are using. With 10-40 dino oil, it takes me on average 8 miles of actual driving to get the pressure down to 3 or below at idle. I use that as a quasi oil-temp gauge so have made a study of it. From a cold start just idling in the driveway, it can take 20 minutes or more for the pressure to get down to 3 or less.
Old 11-26-2017, 08:17 PM
jerome951
Drifting

Received 62 Likes on 52 Posts

I"ll echo what Tom suggested. Bleed, run the car, then bleed again. Get the front of the car up in the air if possible.
Here's the technique I use with a cold engine.
Clamp the reservoir overflow tube. Wrench on the bleed screw and hand on the wrench. Clean off the opening of the reservoir. I then put my mouth inside the opening to make a seal then blow. Open the bleed screw while blowing. Close screw, take another breath, then lather, rinse & repeat until you only get liquid from the bleed screw. You may have to bleed again 1 or 2 more times when the car is warmed up.

Regarding oil pressure: Even on my tired engine running 15w-50, my pressure only drops to 3 if I'm driving hard on the track and get the oil really hot. I've never seen it <2 at idle even on the hottest track days.
Old 11-27-2017, 01:43 AM
rlm328
Rennlist Member

Received 309 Likes on 206 Posts

Clarks Garage is your friend

http://www.clarks-garage.com/
Old 11-27-2017, 12:59 PM
Tom M'Guinn

Rennlist Member

Received 533 Likes on 287 Posts

Originally Posted by jerome951
I then put my mouth inside the opening to make a seal then blow.
A cooling system pressure tester work for this too....

Quick Reply: Coolant overflowing