Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Stand alone harnesses and the factory grommet

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2003, 03:07 PM
SeaCay
Thefu
Rennlist Member

Received 658 Likes on 330 Posts

Granted, the mil-spec way is not the cheap way to go. But an argument can be made that it's "the right" way to go. Look at the link Steve gave us for prs, wouldn't you just love to have a car that everything just unplugged in a 1/4 turn of your wrist?

I guess I'm just one of those guys that looks at something and understands that there are a few different ways to do it. The best way is what I typically choose. I'll eat the cost for knowing it's done right (tell me you don't get a warm feeling in the pit of your stomach when you really did something the best way possible, tell me also that you never get that sick feeling when something is cobbled together in a pinch), and my peace of mind.

IMHO of course!

C(do what's best for you)K
Old 12-14-2003, 03:18 PM
Magown
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't know how the Link ECU wiring harness is constructed, don't it unplug at the ECU? That's how my Tec3 harness is built. Just like the factory setup. all you have to do is unhook it from the ECU and shove the harness through the hole in the firewall. It takes a few minutes. Why would you want to go to all the trouble to splice in a big connector when it can already be done so quickly?
Old 12-14-2003, 03:45 PM
Steve Lavigne
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I wouldn't go through the trouble of splicing one of these connectors in after the harness is constructed. That said, having a single connection to the motor in mind when you are building the harness would make removing/installing a fully built motor much simpler and quicker. Plus, you probably want to connect your ecu to the dash and possibly a switch or two on the center console.
Old 12-14-2003, 04:55 PM
NZ951
Race Director

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Link ECU just unplugs... Takes about 3 seconds to undo them all (3 connectors). Still it would be nice to have a connector that is flexible to add new "through the firewall" features... I dont think I have ever needed to take the harness off my Link through the firewall yet having said that. So who does a gromet that is a simple rubber bung but is able to be size adjusted for an aftermarket harness?

Quick Reply: Stand alone harnesses and the factory grommet