Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

'86 951 Heater door clip missing, too hot in cabin

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2017, 04:25 PM
Dash01
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Default '86 951 Heater door clip missing, too hot in cabin

While waiting for a plastic replacement heater flapper clip (mine's missing, so the rod just hangs there), a few questions:

1.) Can the metal rod be properly secured with a zip tie?

2.) There are three such plastic clips attached at various places on or near the heater box, which ones fail? (Should I replace all three while in there, or is it a safe bet that just the main one has failed, or will?)

Heater valve in engine bay near firewall questions:

1.) the white plastic actuator rod between the vac. unit and servo does not move when the engine is started and vacuum applied to the intake manifold. It can be compressed by finger easily, so it's not internally jammed. Does this mean the heater valve itself is faulty? Or, is its vacuum source faulty? (Seems to me, once the engine starts and vacuum builds, the servo rod should move, shutting the heater control valve, assuming the dashboard controls are set correctly.)

2.) How common are heater control valve failures, i.e., should I go ahead and replace it while in there?
Old 11-09-2017, 12:09 AM
NoRush993/951
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Make sure the vacuum line that enters the firewall from the engine compartment side near the back of the battery is attached. That can be your vacuum snafu as it can pop off. I've only replaced the heater valve once in 30 years and it actually never failed. You should hear the vacuum sound under the passenger side dash pretty quickly after starting the car with the heat on.

Quick Reply: '86 951 Heater door clip missing, too hot in cabin