Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Can this gauge be that off?

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2017, 05:27 PM
Dan Martinic
Drifting

Received 157 Likes on 131 Posts
Default Can this gauge be that off?

So, I'm using this new but ultra cheapo vacuum gauge homemade attachment to perform a post-AOS seals & vacuum line (plus Laust Manifold!) checkup:

The needle 'rests' (a bit shakey) between 10 & 15.

The motor runs fine, a little smoother and snappier than before (I replaced a leaky ICV, CV, throttle screw, and evap diaphram black circle thing) but according to this gauge, this test is medicore, correct?

Is it at least reacting properly?

I didn't do this before the project, checking for leaks with the compressor method instead. In fact, I've never performed a vacuum test of any kind before lol

I did find Tom's poll thread and most of you have 17+ at idle. I read that "high performance" engines may have low vacuum due to valve overlap. Does the 951 motor fall into this category?
Old 10-10-2017, 06:04 PM
Dan Martinic
Drifting

Received 157 Likes on 131 Posts
Default Yes it can!

I managed to borrow a pro vacuum gauge and wow, is that cheapo thing ever off!

Hard to see, but the pro gauge is reading a solid 16 & very steady (the cheapo was reading about 12-13 and a little shakey)

Even the pro gauge can be read .5 to 1 hg different depending on the angle (at rest, depending how you hold it, the needle is either bang on zero or .5 either way)

I guess it's correct when they say the behaviour is more important than the actual reading lol

I've also included the dash reading

There ya go

Quick Reply: Can this gauge be that off?