Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Waste gate and exhaust reassembly puzzle

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2017, 03:23 PM
zogster
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Waste gate and exhaust reassembly puzzle

I'm reassembling the exhaust system (amongst other things) after a clutch change, and in putting the waste gate back on I'm not quite sure if I'm doing things right...

I've already got the main exhaust ( from turbo to muffler) back on, and the waste gate is going back on with the pipe that connects it to the exhaust and muffler.

I have two problems:

1. I'm not sure how much to tighten the clamping nuts and bolts at the waste gate outlet pipe to exhaust union. Pic below.

2. Having reattached the mounting bracket to the torque tube, and reattaching the waste gate to the mounting bracket, I'm not sure whether I've missed something - while the two M8 bolts that pass through holes in the mounting bracket and into the let's-call-it-a-flange-bit-of-metal on the waste gate assembly seem secure and definitely in the right place, there's a third hole in the waste gate assembly flange that isn't doing anything. It looks as if it should be bolted to something big and solid, but it's just hanging around and just about touching the bottom of the bracket on the torque tube, which also seems odd. Pics below.

Help!
Attached Images    
Old 10-03-2017, 04:25 PM
Humboldtgrin
Drifting

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Turn your clamp on the torque tube around.
https://www.ebay.com/i/162350025258
Old 10-04-2017, 06:15 AM
zogster
Pro

D’oh!

that makes sense... on reflection it would put a couple of bolts in better places, access-wise

”A man who performs his own car maintenance has a fool for a mechanic”
Old 10-13-2017, 02:17 PM
zogster
Pro

Hmmmm... so I tried turning the clamp around into what seemed to be the only other possible position, and I still can't make things fit. See attached of clamp in new position, with waste gate removed.

Does anyone have pics of the clamp and waste gate correctly installed?

(Another problem along the way... fell off by bicycle last week and broke a metacarpal in my right hand, plus something in the left. This job is not getting easier.)
Attached Images  
Old 10-13-2017, 08:41 PM
zogster
Pro

Ok, now I see it...
Old 10-14-2017, 02:07 AM
GJB928
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Okay how about a picture for others?
Old 10-14-2017, 02:52 PM
zogster
Pro

Good idea, apologies ;-)

Here ya go...

This is the correct assembly and orientation, and also a harder-to-read pic with the waste gate half installed - hadn't added the lowermost of the three bolts (which is still a bit of a puzzle in that the hole in the waste gate bracket is about the size of an M10 bolt, but the threaded hole in the bracket on the torque tube is M8. I've just used an M8x25 bolt in there for now)

Next time I will be more careful about bagging and tagging all fasteners, and taking pics during disassembly
Attached Images   
Old 10-15-2017, 08:44 AM
Dan Martinic
Drifting

Received 157 Likes on 131 Posts

As for the first question, if that's a squishy seal like the one from the crossover to the wastegate, I simply tightened the fasteners until my little torque wrench clicked at the appropriate setting (sorry--don't have the spec handy, but it's out there)

The result is a little space between the flanges and no leak
Old 10-15-2017, 04:12 PM
zogster
Pro

Thanks - they're m6 bolts, so I guess torquing to 8nm would be right, absent any other guidance.

Another thought now that I've got the crossover in position: you may want to leave final tightening of waste gate bolts until the crossover is attached. I found that I had to reposition the waste gate slightly in order to get everything lined up
Old 10-15-2017, 05:04 PM
Dan Martinic
Drifting

Received 157 Likes on 131 Posts

Yep--sounds about right re: torque. It is a very low amount.

I did tighten that connection to the wastegate pipe last. For my project, I didn't move the wastegate or the exhaust manifold; I tightened the manifold connection first, then at the turbo, and finally at the wastegate end.

Seems to have worked fine

Quick Reply: Waste gate and exhaust reassembly puzzle