944/951 in snow? snow tires

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2003, 10:18 PM
951kid
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 944/951 in snow? snow tires

hey all,

I was out in the snow this past weekend in my 951 (I live in New York and got about 6" wnet out in 2" plus ice) , and although i was driving carefully i still ended up sideways twice over the coarse of a mile. do any of you guys drive at all in the snow, obviously the 951 was not designed to be used in snow, but do you use snow tires? are they any help? im currently sporting 205/225 khumo exsta 712s and two 60 lb sand bags in my trunk.

Any thoughts or comments appreciated,
Anthony
Old 12-09-2003, 01:32 AM
JustinL
Drifting

Received 179 Likes on 99 Posts

712s are terrible in the snow. Although I don't drive too much in the winter, I still have a set of blizzaks on 16" rims for the winter. I bought my car last March when there was still snow on the ground and I kept getting stuck on 2° inclines and 1cm of snow. That's when I vowed to get some tires that are good in the snow.

Seriously though, get those 712s off the car for the winter.

Justin
Old 12-09-2003, 02:22 AM
jchaley
Instructor

I live in colorado and drove my car all winter last year with Blizzacks. 225/50-16. The car worked great. Rear drive with limited slip on snows works better than 4WD and allseason tires. With the snows you can turn and stop as well as go.

john
Old 12-09-2003, 03:04 AM
rage2
Three Wheelin'

I love the snow. I still drive my 951 daily in the snow... I use Michellin Alpins for winters.
Old 12-09-2003, 06:28 AM
special tool
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You guys are sick... Get a Chevy p-up, with a plow

Old 12-09-2003, 10:17 AM
mdex
Racer

The only reason my car is off the road this year is it is way too low for winter use, but Porsches are great in the snow... a good handling car is a good handling car no matter the conditions. Put a good set of snow tires on the car, take that sand out of the trunk and have fun.
Old 12-09-2003, 12:00 PM
Russ Murphy
Drifting

Years ago when I bought my car from a gentleman in Oregon, my son and I drove it back to St.Louis on his spring break. We got caught in a spring snow storm through all of Utah and western Colorado and drove in significant quantities of plowed and unplowed (up to four inches on one twenty mile stretch) snow with the Toyo FZ4's that were on the car. We even went over Monarch pass the next day (the sign at the bottom read "Chains Required" ). The moral is that the car is quite nicely balanced and with even slighty appropriate tires it goes great in the snow.
Old 12-09-2003, 12:32 PM
mlwagar
Intermediate

I currently use the Yokohama AVS DB which is the only W rated tire I have found with a snow rating. I live up Coal Creek Canyon in the Golden Colorado area and while I don't make a habit of driving in the snow, I have been caught on a few occasions in the snow. The only time I have broken traction was on a steep grade where there was several inches of unplowed snow on the road. I have only not been able to make it home on one occasion. The tires do a very good job in dry and wet conditions as well. Look at the ratings on Tire Rack's web site.

Old 12-09-2003, 12:41 PM
Matt H
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

mlw - they are M&S?
Old 12-09-2003, 01:33 PM
ArcticCzar
Racer

Dunlop got the best rating for snow driving with their Graspic SPs. It's a fairly inexpensive tire, but they're only Q rated and a little hard to find in our sizes. But they were rated so much better than the rest, it might be worth the hunt.
Old 12-09-2003, 01:41 PM
Marc Gelefsky
Super Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Just put a set of Dunlop WinterSport M2's on my 951 and it did really well in last weeknds snow.
Old 12-09-2003, 05:50 PM
morefun
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 5 Posts

I exchanged my 17" Yoko AVSs for newly mounted 16" Dunlap Graspic DS1s on Friday at lunch - just in time for the foot of snow here on the coast of RI. I had some doubts about the 951 in the snow. No problems! I had P-210s for winter use on my 90' Carrera2. Also no problems. HP summer tires are a big mistake in the snow. I found out when I stuffed my '86 Carrera into a t-pole - it happened so fast I still can't believe it.

Cheers
Old 12-09-2003, 06:14 PM
Sami951
Drifting

P-car + snow tires = fun fun fun!! I almost feel sorry for putting my 951 away for the winter, but it's just too damn low to clear the usual amount of snow we get...

Then again, P-car + summer tires on snow = disaster. Here in Finland everybody switches to proper snow tires as soon as the temps drop below zero, but reading these forums I somehow get the impression that there are a lot of people who assume those high performance summer slicks work just as well on the ice...
Old 12-09-2003, 06:21 PM
Matt H
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Where did you get that info on the Dunlops? Reprinted (without permission :>) from Tire Rack)

Bridgestone Blizzak WS-50

Bridgestone’s Blizzak WS-50 “WinterBiter” is designed to provide a blend of winter traction for conditions ranging from deep snow to bare ice. The Blizzak WS-50 features Bridgestone’s Tube Multicell tread compound that combines microscopic pores with microscopic “tubes” aligned with the direction of travel. These features enhance the tire’s ability to wick away the film of water that forms between the tire and the ice. This efficient water control provides improved grip on ice-covered roads compared to the original Blizzak WS-15.

While the Blizzak WS-50 never hid the fact that it was a dedicated winter tire on the road, it provided predictable handling and good ride comfort with noise levels that were rated between the other two tires.

On the ice, the Blizzak WS-50 ‘s tread pattern and tread compound provided cornering traction that was the best of the three tires in the test, and equaled the performance of the other two tires when accelerating and braking.

The Blizzak WS-50 offers good dry road performance and ice traction. It can be used in urban and rural areas with moderate to heavy snowfall.

Dunlop Graspic DS-1

The Graspic DS-1 (Digi-Tyre Studless) is Dunlop's latest innovation in studless ice and snow traction technology for America. This winter tire combines a high silica content tread compound with a “wiper block” tread pattern to deliver Dunlop’s best snow and ice traction.

While the Dunlop Graspic DS-1 was rated appropriate for its category on the road, it was ranked just behind the other two tires for ride quality and noise comfort. Its "real world" handling rating was reduced by its relatively slow steering response.

On the ice, the Dunlop Graspic DS-1 offered good acceleration and braking traction, but its tread design and compound couldn't quite match the cornering grip of the Blizzak WS-50.

Of the three tires in this test, the Dunlop Graspic DS-1 featured the most aggressive tread pattern. And while its aggressive tread pattern may have resulted in less responsive handling and slightly noisier ride qualities on dry roads, it should reward the driver with good traction in deep snow.

Michelin Arctic Alpin

The Arctic Alpin was designed to change the way most drivers think about winter tires by placing more emphasis on the dry road winter conditions experienced between snowfalls. The Arctic Alpin replaces the traditional snow tire designs with a 10/32” deep, high contact, high-density, siped tread design.

On the road, the Arctic Alpin provided ride quality, noise comfort and handling that was the equivalent of many All-Season tires and it received the best dry road ride, noise and handling ratings from our team. However on wet roads, the Arctic Alpin’s highly siped tread pattern provided good traction but generated a high pitched whine that was most noticeable in the 25 – 45 mph range and less noticeable at highway speeds.

On the ice, the Arctic Alpin also offered good acceleration and braking traction, but its tread design and compound couldn't quite match the cornering grip of the Blizzak WS-50.

The Dunlops ranked near the bottom in every category! See graphs here...
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/...002_charts.jsp

The results shown are for snow/ice tires non-studded. In the performance winter category the Winter Sport M3 from Dunlop is the highest ranked and the two Michelins rank dead last.

At any rate UHP tires are awful in the snow, they are just not designed for it. Swap them for any winter tire and you should see marked improvement.
Old 12-09-2003, 11:40 PM
Sufnituning
Addict
Rennlist Member

Hi. Maybe you need this for winter fun.http://boards.rennlist.com/upload/memberupload.php

Quick Reply: 944/951 in snow? snow tires