Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Looking at this 944T

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2003, 10:31 PM
GSG9WOLF
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well I just got off the phone with the dude and he said the cluth has not been replaced. So stock clutch. I want this car though! If I sold my current car (240sx), got money outta my bank, and got xmas money from my folks, I would still be $1400 short. Life sucks at times

edit: He also said it still runs excellent. Which I would find out by myself but there is no point is going to look at it now
Old 12-09-2003, 12:00 AM
Eyal 951
Nordschleife Master

your better off, with that stock clutch, that thing will fail on you soon 1000-2000 bucks extra, plus whatever else goes, you need to pay for. you got the money? Get some work, save up, and buy one, or buy 944 NA.
~Eyal
BTW, whats with the headights?
Old 12-09-2003, 12:22 AM
PorscheDoc
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Eyal hit it right on the nose. I would expect the clutch to go anytime, among other things. It literally is one thing after another with these cars, and you need to be able to perform the work yourself, or you will really dump money into them. Unfotunetly even doing the clutch yourself can be $500-1000, so it is not cheap to fix.

Karl
Old 12-09-2003, 12:35 AM
Brian McCoy
Addict
Rennlist Member

Of course, there are always others available in the near-by areas... *cough*http://home.speedfactory.net/bmccoy/*cough*.... the price is $8500 now (sounds a bit high, but you might hit the lotto).
Old 12-09-2003, 12:59 PM
rhesus
Addict
Rennlist Member

I'd be kind of suspicious as to why he had to replace the headgasket, first of all. Secondly, when you buy the car you should expect to spend another $1k on maintenance items - and if the clutch goes that can cost you up to $2k. I'd do what Eyal says and either save up the extra money or buy an N/A. No sense in buying a car that you can't afford to fix, right?
Old 12-09-2003, 01:13 PM
Matt H
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

4800 is a smoking deal on an 87+ in good shape. Do the clutch yourself and you are at say 5800 max. Still a great deal. However, if you are 1400 short of the buying price you will probably not be able to take care of the things it is going to need later.
Old 12-09-2003, 01:15 PM
Dave951M
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Why should a clutch cost $2K????? Even if you pay Hans und Fritz, it's still not that high. I'm not so sure about that headgasket. I'd check into why it failed and any other background you can get. BTW- mileage isn't really the issue with these cars that it is with others. If the maintenance is done, they can go for a very long time, like 300k with no issues other than consumables and scheduled maint.

Don't get into a hurry, there will be others out there.
Old 12-09-2003, 01:21 PM
Matt H
Race Director

Dave - it depends on which cross over pipe you have. The clutch itself can run as much as 1300 dollars (Centerforce), if you do the flywheel at the same time or a KEP PP, then you *could* spend 2K in PARTS. That is the reason I left it for another day (my cost was skyrocketing and my budget getting smaller :>)). Mine has 195K on it (car not clutch) and it is just fine.
Old 12-09-2003, 01:41 PM
Peckster
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

It's not the right car for someone who has to scrape the payment together. Unless you figure your parents will feel sorry for you, or you don't plan on driving it much.
Old 12-09-2003, 07:17 PM
potent951turbo
iPod Tamer
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Yes, I agree with everyone else. With a lower priced 951 there is bound to be problems. And the price is going to jump up FAST. I would save up and buy a 944NA to start out with.
Old 12-09-2003, 09:06 PM
Matt H
Race Director

People who say that low-priced ones have problems are just people who have never bought one, they are re-telling what they heard. I paid 3900 for my 87. It is in very good exterior shape and the interior was near perfect (seats a little worn but very good overall). Car really didnt need anything but battery and tires. There was little stuff here and there. I tore into it thinking better to do it now, the engine looked great, new rods bearings, head was new, etc, etc, etc. There is no reason to be afraid of that car. Hell for that little money I think I have already found a buyer, if so then you can see it at TWS next season.
Old 12-09-2003, 09:11 PM
Eyal 951
Nordschleife Master

wait, buyer for your car, or this black one. Clarify on that. Otherwise, I think, I could be dead wrong, but I think you really lucked out in that deal Matt. If your selling, how much are you looking to get for it?
~Eyal
Old 12-09-2003, 09:18 PM
Matt H
Race Director

The black car if it is not gone soon may be a shared car between myself and someone else (if I understood correctly), the plan being to strip it and prep for next season :>)

When mine goes for sale I will probably ask about 7500 but it will be perfect (or pretty damn close). Modified cars dont bring much and I expect to lose money overall. Hell, there will be close to 5-6K in aftermarket parts. I did get a good deal on the car but I have seen others that were better than mine go for the same amount. I would have bought the black one (I had to pay to ship mine from Cali) if the time had been right. I guess I just dont shy away from a good deal. I went and looked at a '03 Boxster S with fresh water flood damage about 5 days ago. The price was in the low 13's. I would have snagged a 996 motor and swapped it in. 340HP Boxster! Too bad I am not done with the 951.
Old 12-09-2003, 09:23 PM
Eyal 951
Nordschleife Master

7500? when do you plan on selling? haha, who am I kidding, I wont have that kinda scratch anytime soon, not at 7 bucks an hour.... unless you sell in a couple years, lol.
~Eyal
EDIT: I think I'd be mostly interested because i feel id be able to trust your work, and I'v kinda seen the car progress. One day, when I am in a better financial point in my life, I'll take on a 951 project.
Old 12-09-2003, 09:28 PM
Matt H
Race Director

In my life, basically, everything is for sale. Probably the first time someone makes me a good offer or when I get bored. I tend to get bored quickly, my wife maintaines that I wont have this car through next summer. She is probably right, I will want something new to mess with. I think my next ride is going to be a Boxster. They are great to drive everyday and make pretty good track mules. She wants a 996 or a 993 so we may be an all Porsche family next year. I really like messing with the cars more than driving them, seems silly I know but that is just me. I would be really bored with a new car, I sold my last new car after 9K miles, just wasnt any fun.

Quick Reply: Looking at this 944T