Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Another no start problem

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2017, 05:05 PM
weez58
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Another no start problem

I've been chasing a no start problem with my '86 951. First it was no spark. After bypassing the alarm, changing speed and reference sensors and their harnesses it turned out to be a DME problem. I had that fixed. Now I have spark, fuel pressure is 40+psi, noid light shows pulsing at all four injectors, still no start. I can get it to run with starting fluid, but only until the fluid is gone. It acts like no fuel.

Any ideas?
Old 09-24-2017, 07:18 PM
Humboldtgrin
Drifting

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Bad fuel.
Old 09-24-2017, 07:42 PM
weez58
Intermediate

New pump and filter. Flushed the old gas out and replaced with new. To your point, maybe I didn't flush it well enough. The plugs looked totally dry.
Old 09-24-2017, 08:57 PM
GJB928
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by weez58
New pump and filter. Flushed the old gas out and replaced with new. To your point, maybe I didn't flush it well enough. The plugs looked totally dry.
I'd pull the fuel rail and have injectors fire into jars to see what is happening. If they don't spray, try them individually with a battery. Be careful with spark and fuel though.
Old 09-25-2017, 01:49 PM
Tom M'Guinn

Rennlist Member

Received 533 Likes on 287 Posts

I'd check the resistance across each injector, and check the harness for frayed wires under the connectors. If any of the injector leads get shorted (in the harness, which is common, or in an injector), it can act like a bad Christmas tree bulb and prevent any of them from firing. The noid light should reveal this, but it depends on how things were hooked up when you tested. Other than that, I'd look to physically (and safely) look to see if fuel is getting in there. Pulling the plugs and cranking is usually good enough to see/smell raw gas.
Old 09-25-2017, 02:12 PM
weez58
Intermediate

Thanks for the input, I'll check these things out.
Old 09-25-2017, 02:36 PM
Paulyy
Professional Hoon
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom M'Guinn
I'd check the resistance across each injector, and check the harness for frayed wires under the connectors. If any of the injector leads get shorted (in the harness, which is common, or in an injector), it can act like a bad Christmas tree bulb and prevent any of them from firing. The noid light should reveal this, but it depends on how things were hooked up when you tested. Other than that, I'd look to physically (and safely) look to see if fuel is getting in there. Pulling the plugs and cranking is usually good enough to see/smell raw gas.
From experience, If the injector harness gets shorted, it'll shut off the DME until you turn off the car and back on. If it stays shorted, your car will not start at all. You can check with a Noid light, i used a generic LED and noticed it was still flashing when the harness was shorted. But it wasn't as bright.

Also if something else gets shorted that goes to the DME, it'll most likely shut it off also.
Old 09-25-2017, 02:42 PM
weez58
Intermediate

Pauly,

If the DME shuts off, would you still get spark?

Thanks for the input.

-Bob
Old 10-06-2017, 06:41 PM
weez58
Intermediate

Solved. I sent the injectors to Fuel Injection Corp. They cleaned and tested them. After 20 years it rumbled to life!
Old 10-07-2017, 09:18 AM
Paulyy
Professional Hoon
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Sorry mate didn't see your reply. Glad you solved it.

But to answer your question. From memory, yes it should still spark. Because when i was having issues, i checked the spark and it was sparking. That's how i ruled out the ignition system.

Quick Reply: Another no start problem