Notices
944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Suspension & Brake setups for high HP 951's???

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2003, 05:13 AM
*eurospeed951*
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Suspension & Brake setups for high HP 951's???

Once again, I am trying to gather information. While doing engine rebuild 2.0 I will be taking my time to address all other aspects of the car. The car is an 88 951. When finished, it should be making close to 400 to the wheels. This car will be a weekend street car that will be used in DEs as often as I can manage.
I need a suspension setup that will provide enough adjustment for some tack use, but dramatic adjustment is not needed as this car will not be in compitition. The stiffness should be aggresive enough to handle the power and my driving skill as it will improve through many years. I do not mind a stiff street ride, but do not desire a suspension that will rattle my brains. Presently I have internaly adjustable Koni Yellows front and rear.

I also would like to improve my break setup to match my power output. I was concidering Big Reds up front. Would I need to do anything in the rear other than good pads?

Any information on suspension or break setups for 951's making 350+ power would be great. Thank you!
Old 12-08-2003, 02:51 PM
rage2
Three Wheelin'

I went with big reds up front, and went with cross drilled rear discs and pads. The brakes are so strong, I can lock up the fronts at 200km/h on street tires. There's zero fade, even after 20 laps our roadcourse with a huge 1/2 mile straight and 240-250km/h top speeds.

Suspension wise, I haven't figured it out yet... my spring rate is way too soft up front.
Old 12-08-2003, 06:19 PM
*eurospeed951*
Burning Brakes

What is your front spring rate?
Old 12-08-2003, 07:21 PM
porshhhh951
Monkeys Removed by Request
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i run 450lb springs front and rear.....athough i think they perform well i do know of some running in the 600's and 700's.......i didnt go that agressive cause i use this car on the street alot. i use ate super blue brake fiuld with stainless steel lines.......i run pagid pads.........and i getting 13 inch rotors that have been drilled. i have bilstein shocks with damper set to hard.This setup has been working well for me so far.......but i dont have quite the hp yet ....that you are talking about....i am about 340-350 at the wheels...oh and my tire of choice is so3's.....225 front 255 rear
Old 12-08-2003, 10:50 PM
*eurospeed951*
Burning Brakes

Thanks porshhhh951! It realy helps to hear what setups have been working for people. This is exactly what I'm looking for. I want to know what people have had on their cars for years, used in all kinds of conditions, beat on for a while, and still produce their desired result.

Anyone else want to share their setup?
Old 12-09-2003, 01:13 AM
MySwiss
Pro

Pads will make a huge difference , even on stock calipers. Pagid orange is a popular choice for those who track their cars, and may still be used on the street, without needing to much heat before the react. Your caliper of choice, will only be as good as the tires you ride on( as Rage mentioned).

You might want to also look into the 951 Turbo "S" (928 S4) calipers, instead of the usual Big reds. They will allow most 16" wheels to fit over,and practically offer the same pad surface. Friends and customers of mine ,went from the 928 S4 calipers to Big reds, without noticing much of a difference on the track or street.
Old 12-09-2003, 10:24 AM
mdex
Racer

Since this is a street and track car there is no need to go too stiff... many people go to far to fast and ruin the car... the 928 s4 brakes are a great upgrade, along with good fluid and pads. I would start off with the 968 M30 sway bars, dampers (koni yellows, bilstein etc) and a proper set up (lower, align) to start. Many of the really quick DE cars run this type of set up, without having to ruin the cars streetability.

Quick Reply: Suspension & Brake setups for high HP 951's???