Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Tried to fix odometer, broke speedometer

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2017, 11:18 AM
Druepy
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Tried to fix odometer, broke speedometer

My odometer gear broke so I ordered a new one and went about trying to fix it. In the Clark's garage technical article for this repair it says "12. Gently pry up on the speedometer needle to remove it from its shaft."

Well it wasn't coming off until it broke the shaft. It's just like me to ruin one thing as I fix another. After assessing the assembly I still don't know what I should have done differently to avoid breaking the shaft. Now that I have to buy another gauge cluster to swap in how do I go about removing the speedometer needle without breaking it?

here is a picture of my f*** up

Old 09-16-2017, 01:41 PM
Druepy
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I figured it out. The piece of shaft you see in the picture above is press fit into the larger diameter shaft with the countersink. It took a pair of pliers on each to get them apart. How you are able to pull the needle off the shaft with out breaking it like I did escapes me. It should be fun to try again with a new speedo.
Old 09-16-2017, 07:38 PM
beamishnz
Rennlist Member

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

I've changed a few of these odometer sprockets and removing the needle is always a bit scary. I do by getting the tips of my finger under it as close as possible tot he shaft and forcing it up. They have always come off. I'm wondering if using pliers squeezed the speedo arm onto the shaft.

Frustrating!
Old 09-19-2017, 10:54 PM
jeffro951
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I always twist while pulling up and never had a problem, take note of were the needle points at rest so you put it back in the same location to have the speedo as accurate as possible.

Quick Reply: Tried to fix odometer, broke speedometer