Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Crack in waste gate

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2017, 07:10 AM
zogster
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Crack in waste gate

After having stuck studs removed from my waste gate, I noticed that there's a crack in one corner - pics attached.

It doesn't extend too far down, and my rather clueless take on it is "it's not going to fail immediately, but it won't last forever".

Is there anything I can/should do about this, other than just get everything back together, check it every now and again, and basically wait for it to fail or get obviously worse somewhere down the line? (I don't think it's really worth replacing right now)
Attached Images   
Old 08-28-2017, 07:41 PM
rlm328
Rennlist Member

Received 309 Likes on 206 Posts

That won't hurt anything. Just use copper coat when you put it back together.
Old 08-29-2017, 05:28 AM
zogster
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks, good to hear! I figured that the corner affected would just probably fail at some point... heat cycling, stress and vibration will eventually do their thing. But I guess it's not a very highly stressed part, so it'll be a while.

I see you're in the Houston area - hope you and yours are getting through this Harvey thing OK... some things are more important than lovely old cars.
Old 08-29-2017, 02:28 PM
rlm328
Rennlist Member

Received 309 Likes on 206 Posts

Originally Posted by zogster
Thanks, good to hear! I figured that the corner affected would just probably fail at some point... heat cycling, stress and vibration will eventually do their thing. But I guess it's not a very highly stressed part, so it'll be a while.

I see you're in the Houston area - hope you and yours are getting through this Harvey thing OK... some things are more important than lovely old cars.
I am one of the lucky ones who is high and dry.
Old 09-05-2017, 12:19 PM
Auto_Werks 3.6
Quit Smokin'
Rennlist Member

Received 312 Likes on 202 Posts

Originally Posted by rlm328
That won't hurt anything. Just use copper coat when you put it back together.

I agree that the function should still be ok at this point, but stock waste gates have almost no value... I feel like I would personally rather find a nice used one now, than to have that stud fail in use and cause a leak. I the car was a POS like my rally car, I would probably keep running it. If the rest of the car is pretty nice, I would probably fix it. just my $.02

Quick Reply: Crack in waste gate