Old 12-02-2003, 05:16 PM
PorscheDoc
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Reference Sensor Wires

I have some broken ref. sensor wires, right behind the plug on the DME side. The wires are too short on the end of the plug to splice onto again, so I know in the past someone had mentioned they had gotten rid of the 2 connector pieces on the reference sensor wires completely, and just spliced the two ends together permanently. My question is, if i cut the plug off the reference sensor itself, are the wires going to match colors so i know which wires will splice together? I know on the DME side, there is the ground which is bare, a brown wire, and a white wire. The way the wires go into the plug, it is very difficult to see which wires line up where on the plug connection itself (there are three slots if you look inside the connector itself, obviously one side male, and the other female). If anyone has done this splice and could give me some help i would appreciate it. I am guessing the ground will be easy to see, so that eliminates 1 wire, and if nothing else, i guess i can switch the other 2 around if i don't get it right the first time. Thanks.
Karl
Old 12-02-2003, 06:00 PM
User 41221
Banned

Received 172 Likes on 107 Posts

Karl, I think thats a pretty bad idea. The sensors themselves can get chewed up, or damaged when doing clutch jobs, and you may find it is better to have it be a replaceable item. And yes, I know, buying two of those things is expensive, I have to do the same to my '87 right now...

Regards,
Old 12-02-2003, 07:03 PM
PorscheDoc
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Scott,

How can i replace the wire going to the DME unit? The wire itself runs into the firewall, and i am wondering how it even plugs into the DME. I haven't looked at the DME unit itself, but knowing it is a bundle of wires going to it, trying to find the right ones could be interesting. Unless i can find a replacement plug on the DME side, i should be able to do that and splice the wires into that no problem. At least then it can be disconnected like normal. Anyone have any ideas where to get that plug? I would rather run a whole new wire from the DME if possible.

karl
Old 12-02-2003, 07:44 PM
User 41221
Banned

Received 172 Likes on 107 Posts

oops, I missed the "DME side" comment.

I will look at mine later tonight and see if I have any good suggestions. Is it just the placstic connector piece that's damaged, or is it the wires? Short of swapping out the complete harness, nothing comes to mind at the moment, altho if you have damaged wires there, it might make sense to look at the rest of it and make sure nothing else is damaged. If it is, then you might want to replace it. I have an engine harness for an '86 951 sitting around, by the way, so let me know if you need one. Heads up, tho, it won't be the most fun you've ever had to swap it out with the engine in the car.

Regards,
Old 12-02-2003, 08:20 PM
PorscheDoc
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

The wires just broke right at the connector on the DME side, they were very brittle and 2 of the 3 wires had broke finally. They broke off so close to the connector, that i can't solder the wires back on there. That side of the wire is so short I had to solder in some "extensions" to that wire, to make it long enough to work on. So if i could just find a new plastic connector for that side, i should be able to wire it up just fine i would think. I haven't looked actually if it is the speed sensor or ref. sensor in a few weeks, but if memory serves correct it was the front sensor that was closest to the engine, whichever that is. Ever since the wires broke and i had a temporary fix on them, the starter was acting funny, a little extra spinning and grinding (once in a while it would turn over a few times, then just sort of "spin out"....usually would start fine on the 2nd try), so i wonder if i shouldnt just replace the whole damn wiring harness oh boy! I will try to fix it the easy way first and see how it acts.

Quick Reply: Reference Sensor Wires