Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

86 944 Turbo, No start issues, questions

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2017, 09:55 AM
Maxbr7t
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 86 944 Turbo, No start issues, questions

Summer is nearly over and I'm still yet to drive my car cause I got a no start issue I'm looking for some help. The car had no issues starting and driving before I put it away for winter, after winter I had a very tough time starting it but after cranking it for about 2 minutes I was able to get it running. I drove it down the street and came back to get the car ready for some repairs, I fixed the steering rack, and engine mounts (via jacking the engine by the pan). Now the car won't start at all, it's been about 2.5 months since I last ran it. I seem to not be getting spark, I replaced the DME relay but no go. My tach bounces up high to about the 3k mark when I first click the ignition but I can't really tell if it keeps bouncing like it should. I read on the pelicanparts article that if you jack the engine too high then you can crush some sensors behind the engine, I fear this may be the case cause in my frustration of trying to get the new mounts in I did jack the engine up pretty high on 2 occasions. Which sensors are in the back of the engine? Does anyone have any tips on where to start? Any help would be appreciated. Thank you
Old 08-21-2017, 11:51 AM
shortyboy
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 25 Posts

Check the speed / reference sensors towards the rear of the motor. either search here for topic or goto http://www.clarks-garage.com/.
Old 08-21-2017, 02:26 PM
divil
Three Wheelin'

Received 27 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by Maxbr7t
Summer is nearly over and I'm still yet to drive my car cause I got a no start issue I'm looking for some help. The car had no issues starting and driving before I put it away for winter, after winter I had a very tough time starting it but after cranking it for about 2 minutes I was able to get it running. I drove it down the street and came back to get the car ready for some repairs, I fixed the steering rack, and engine mounts (via jacking the engine by the pan). Now the car won't start at all, it's been about 2.5 months since I last ran it. I seem to not be getting spark, I replaced the DME relay but no go. My tach bounces up high to about the 3k mark when I first click the ignition but I can't really tell if it keeps bouncing like it should. I read on the pelicanparts article that if you jack the engine too high then you can crush some sensors behind the engine, I fear this may be the case cause in my frustration of trying to get the new mounts in I did jack the engine up pretty high on 2 occasions. Which sensors are in the back of the engine? Does anyone have any tips on where to start? Any help would be appreciated. Thank you
This is what it should look like:

Should be pretty clear if it's happening or not. But the jump to 3K is a hint that there might be a problem with the sensor(s) or wiring harness I think.
Old 08-21-2017, 07:15 PM
Maxbr7t
Track Day

Originally Posted by divil
This is what it should look like:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ApPhMn13Q7s

Should be pretty clear if it's happening or not. But the jump to 3K is a hint that there might be a problem with the sensor(s) or wiring harness I think.

Thanks for the tip. The car is at my parents house and my dad decided to mess with it and said he wiggled some connectors and was able to fire the car up. Maybe he played with the reference sensor, I'll have to see what he was on about when I get a chance to go there
Old 08-21-2017, 09:24 PM
shortyboy
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 25 Posts

Thanks for the tip. The car is at my parents house and my dad decided to mess with it and said he wiggled some connectors and was able to fire the car up. Maybe he played with the reference sensor, I'll have to see what he was on about when I get a chance to go there
the infamous " wire jiggle " would indicate faulty/frayed speed/reference wires and/or connectors on 1 or both ends ( sensor and harness sides ).
Old 08-21-2017, 11:34 PM
Maxbr7t
Track Day

Originally Posted by shortyboy
the infamous " wire jiggle " would indicate faulty/frayed speed/reference wires and/or connectors on 1 or both ends ( sensor and harness sides ).
Yeah I spoke some more with my father today and he said the tach wasn't working but when he wiggled the wires the tach started working again.. so you are probably right. I was able to consistently start the car and drive it around today so that's good, but I'll take a deeper look at the connectors this weekend, thanks for the help shortboy!
Old 08-22-2017, 10:01 PM
fiily
Pro

Old 08-23-2017, 02:09 AM
jeffro951
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Injector harness would be good to replace as well. I have fixed many no start issues on turbos due to the injector harness. do all 3 "while you are in there", injector, speed reference and knock sensor harnesses and you wont regret it.
Old 08-23-2017, 08:22 AM
Maxbr7t
Track Day

Originally Posted by jeffro951
Injector harness would be good to replace as well. I have fixed many no start issues on turbos due to the injector harness. do all 3 "while you are in there", injector, speed reference and knock sensor harnesses and you wont regret it.
Do you have any recommendations on where to purchase replacement harnesses for injector and or knock sensor?
Old 08-23-2017, 10:00 AM
divil
Three Wheelin'

Received 27 Likes on 26 Posts

Do you have any recommendations on where to purchase replacement harnesses for injector and or knock sensor?
Lindsey Racing
Old 08-24-2017, 09:15 AM
spanky
Rennlist Member

Received 712 Likes on 496 Posts

On the 88 NA 944 , moisture droplets inside the cap/rotor was causing a random no start due to it having a hairline crack in it allowing moisture to be drawn into it. Remove the cap and chk inside of it

Quick Reply: 86 944 Turbo, No start issues, questions