Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Gearbox choises

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2017, 09:19 AM
ealoken
Three Wheelin'

Received 117 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by Humboldtgrin
Over 180MPH it's like hitting another brick wall due to wind resistance. Wind resistance is a bell curve on the graph and starts to take effect at 55MPH. At 90 the curve has taken a vertical turn, hence why speed limits were 55MPH for many years because it accually saves gas. And that's why top fuel drag racers need 8000HP to go a quarter mile in 4 seconds. If there were no wind resistance they would need maybe 400HP. On that note you may want to take your car to a wind tunnel past 180MPH or 290KPH. Your splitter and or spoiler may fly off at that speed and your car could just take flight looking like the GT1 when it did.

As i said, Volvo 242
Old 08-21-2017, 10:28 AM
odonnell
Rennlist Member

Received 66 Likes on 48 Posts

I looked at a 986 6 speed since a local guy had one and it looked like way too much work to fit. Maybe if I owned a machine shop and had unlimited fabrication resources.

A few folks have swapped to a Passat 6 speed, there was one guy recently who posted details on a facebook group. It was all custom though, nothing straightforward about it. S2 box all the way. I'm currently looking for an S or S2 box for my '83, as the current transaxle whines worse than a liberal media outlet and is a ticking time bomb.

Quick Reply: Gearbox choises