Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Wastegate dumping to ATM

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2017, 08:48 PM
topley
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Wastegate dumping to ATM

Hi guys... So I now have a 3" exhaust that has no provision for the waste gate exit to be tied in. I have only run on the dyno so far but am hitting the track this weekend. Was under the car yesterday and saw that its was basically blowing the waste gate exhaust over the brake lines (and fuel line and some plastic/rubber line??? what is that one?) I just put a turn down on the waste gate dump but is that enough? What are others doing?
TIA
Jay
Old 08-17-2017, 01:35 PM
GPA951s
Three Wheelin'

Received 270 Likes on 209 Posts

Dumping it is not an issue, I am going to re-fit mine to dump out the side, and I have had a Hard look where I was Going with it... My pipe will go all the way out in front of the rear wheel.

1st- Fire Sleeve over the Fuel Line ( Slit it and wire Tie)
2nd- Thin Aluminum Plate where the Ex is going to "Shield" With DEI Heat Insulation
3rd- Wrap the pipe in Header wrap
With all this I doubt my fuel line or Brake line will get any heat from that pipe.
Normal Driving isn't a big deal but you can never be too careful and on the track this thing will be VERY Active...
Old 08-17-2017, 01:56 PM
gruhsy
Drifting

Received 51 Likes on 38 Posts

The LR turn down pipe worked well with mine. I now run the LR muffler ceramic coated for dump to atmosphere and it quiets things down a ton. I am street use so agree with above precautions for heat shielding with track use.

If you have not already done so, check out Tekflex stuff for an option for heat shield products.

That line you are referring to goes to the carbon canister in the front wheel well....if it's I am thinking you are asking about.
Old 08-17-2017, 02:46 PM
topley
Instructor

Didn't have time to trace that plastic line yet... I'm kinda not surprised that it would go to the charcoal canister except with fuel vapors and its proximity to exhaust piping... plastic? I'm hoping to drill a few (more) holes in my pass floorboard and add a sheet of alum... slit and cover with some fire sleeve or both.
Old 08-18-2017, 01:32 PM
jerome951
Drifting

Received 72 Likes on 56 Posts

I merely have a turn down and no issues in 10 years of track driving.
When the wastegate opens, you're going fast enough that there is good airflow under the car.
However, any leaks in the underside or rear will pull in exhaust fumes (I get a whiff most of the time).
Old 08-28-2017, 01:30 AM
Naplesguy06
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think your good. Most people install a turn down when not dumping into exhaust. Just make sure you have a clamp there somewhere to support the gate.
Old 08-28-2017, 12:34 PM
topley
Instructor

Thanks guys. I put a little heat shield cloth on the brake lines with metal zip ties just in case but things went well for its first track outing.

Quick Reply: Wastegate dumping to ATM