Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Boost spikes

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2003, 05:00 PM
Weissach Vampire
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Boost spikes

I have a question for you rennlisters about boost spikes!

I have a GuruRacing TurboS chipkit, an apexi AVC-R and a Tial 38mm wastegate. I use the autoconfigurationmode on the apexi(set to 1.05 bar=15Psi) and it holds boost ok on third gear, but when I floor it on fourth and fifth gear i see up to 1.2 bar boost before the apexi adjust it down to proper levels. I don´t know for how long it overboosts(I´m kinda busy looking at the road under these conditions) but after the runs I check the max aquiered boost on the Apexi.

Is this dangerous or should I just forget about it? Maybe I should use the "start duty" setting on the Apexi and turn down initial dutycycle?

Thank you.
Old 11-27-2003, 07:14 PM
Tom M'Guinn

Rennlist Member

Received 534 Likes on 287 Posts

Lots of people rave about the Apexi. I tried it and could never get it to hold a steady and predictable boost level. I had the same kind of problem you are having. Other people claim there is nothing better, so I dunno. Short of a dyno, where are you supposed to tune the 4th and 5th gear boost maps? THere may have been something wrong with mine, I dunno, but I finally gave up and re-installed the Profec B, which holds boost exactly the same in every gear at whatever lever I spin the **** to.
Old 11-28-2003, 03:14 PM
Weissach Vampire
Advanced

Ok, thank you Tom!

Anyone else with experiences of the Apexi EBC(good or bad)? Maybe these boostspikes are "by design"? Haven´t noticed any pinging when the boostspikes occur, the car just pulls like crazy(the question is for how long).

Old 11-28-2003, 08:38 PM
sybelix
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yup, please more comments about avec-r.
our gruppe951 here in Finland, we are thinking whether to buy those or not
Old 11-28-2003, 08:39 PM
tazman
Three Wheelin'

Do you have the gear specific self learning turned on?

If you have that turned on then you need to adjust the F/B speed in the upper gears.
Old 11-28-2003, 10:49 PM
Theo951
Advanced

Reduce the "start duty" on the gears you noticed the overboost.
Typicaly should be zero, or even negative figures in a huge turbo with MAF & KN
When done, go to learn mode off in all gears.
Tazman has right mentioned. F/B shloud around 5.
AVC-r is one of the best part installed in my 951.
Old 11-29-2003, 01:07 AM
NZ951
Race Director

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I feckin hate EBC's. A manual one works so much more consistently. I still have my EBC. I get boost spikes when accelerating from 2000rpm in 4th. But not in 1,2, or 3... sucks really.
Old 11-29-2003, 06:45 AM
Weissach Vampire
Advanced

Yes, I have the gear specific self learning turned on. I will try to set the F/B speed to 5 in the upper gears as suggested, hopefully that will help. Or is it better to turn of selflearningmode?

Old 11-29-2003, 06:49 AM
Weissach Vampire
Advanced

Oh, by the way, Tazman, I notice that you have almost the same setup as I do, did you have "rock solid boost" from the start when you installed your mods, or did you have to tweak alot to get it stable??

Thank you!
Old 11-29-2003, 12:28 PM
tazman
Three Wheelin'

When I first installed the AVC-R with the stock waste gate I had to do a lot of tweaking to get the most out of it. Then I installed the Tial run in only singe port mode and I had to change things I had set to compensate for the weak factory unit. I should of posted these before but here are some things that were sent to me when I installed mine 1 & 2 Also if you go to OZ951's site he has some information and links to the text documents above.

With my APE chips and even the hacked set of Guru chips, I had a big fat rich portion under 4000rpm and I was running over 1.2Bar of boost and that was awesome. I had to drop the boost to below 1 bar above 5000RPM or else I would be to lean up top. You could not do that with a mbc. I was using a WB O2 sensor but no matter how much I turned up the boost I could not get an acceptable A/F ratio in that lower range.

Quick Reply: Boost spikes