Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

ceramic exhaust port liner, cracked

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2003, 08:49 PM
951carter
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

get an 87+ head, they changed the ceramic liners to make them more durable. It is cheap to get the intake ported, and you should be able to find an 87+ head pretty cheap if you look hard enough.
Old 11-30-2003, 08:42 PM
highboost951
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Howdy Russ! ...I still haven't messed with the cylinder head yet...anyone else?
Old 11-30-2003, 08:55 PM
TonyG
Rennlist Junkie Forever

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

First off, not having a ceramic exhaust port liner will have zero effect on the longevity of anything other than possibly the heat transmitted to the head.

All serious 951 race engines, are done using a N/A core.

Don't think that you can get the proper port dimension and shape by removing the ceramic liner. You may be able to, and then again you may not be able to. I have no idea of what it looks like with it removed, nor do I know the thickness of the liner at all points along its length.

It's a crap shoot, but it looks like there's nothing to lose by doing so.

If it were me, I'd remove the liners, then take the head to a professional porting/cylinder head shop that is capable of porting the head properly. Having the proper tools, and more importantly, the experience to know what the port needs to look like is of utmost importance. Failure to do the job correctly, will for sure result in useless head.

Get a pro to port the exhaust side after you've removed the liner (taking as little aluminum off in the process).

Good luck,

TonyG

Quick Reply: ceramic exhaust port liner, cracked