Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

DEFINITIVE lifter test??

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2003, 08:44 AM
special tool
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default DEFINITIVE lifter test??

Okay, who has the definitive lifter test. I have heard everything from oil soaking to pushing the button. Who knows how to tell if these contraptions should go back in an engine?

Old 11-23-2003, 09:08 AM
Ski
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I was just asking this question the other day to a 25+ yr shop owner/PORSCHE apprenticeship graduate. If they are pushable out of the engine and were quiet they are at least pumping up but they are loosing part of holding power. IF they are of course nice and firm, great, the best they can be. IF they have been out of the car, you hit em with a syringe of oil or air off an blow gun, if they stay charged(can't push the button down) use them but if they are spongy after that, toss em. We did a test on a few at his shop that were in the back - all were spongy to start. HIt one oil syringe style, hard. Hit one with air, hard. Hit one with syringe, stayed soft after two trys - tossed it.
Old 11-23-2003, 10:29 AM
special tool
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks Ski

Milledge has a solid lifter conversion without a price on his site. Anyone know how many suitcases of gold I would have to send him to get one of those?

Old 11-23-2003, 10:30 AM
Peckster
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

What does the air do? I can see the oil helping, but how do they hold air?
Old 11-23-2003, 11:07 AM
Ski
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't know all the details inside a lifter but I think if the small check valve inside is functioning correctly it will hold air too, saw one done the other day. We hit it with the blow gun, hard as a rock. Just a test.
Old 11-25-2003, 08:57 AM
86944turbo
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Special Tool,

I've spoken to Jon about the solid lifters. They pretty much require the motor to be dry sumped, as cavitation can occur above 7k w/wet sump. Then, since you have 8k rpm ability (maybe more) 4 more injectors, larger turbo & I/C, etc. 630+ h/p w/moderate boost. I've heard that Steve Savino's car was winning everything in sight. Oh yeah, only 8V and more h/p on the way. Cost? Worth every penny, I'm sure.

Quick Reply: DEFINITIVE lifter test??