Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Greetings! ..also my first question

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2017, 09:26 PM
Jordan Wilkinson
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Greetings! ..also my first question

Hello new friends! My name is Jordan from Tuscaloosa, AL. Yesterday I purchased an 86 951, and I thoroughly enjoyed the 2.5 hour drive home! I have some technical background, but mostly from working on my MGB, an altogether more primitive machine. I will make an effort to search the forums for answers, but my first is a bit of a conundrum.

AC worked just before the PO bought the car, but he never made an effort to repair after the purchase. This is my first time diagnosing AC problems, and the only thing I have been able to determine is that the only fitting I can find seemed to have something plastic threaded inside of it, perhaps from previous work. I believe this is a new fitting, suggesting freon conversion. There was no cap, and I've only chewed up the plastic piece trying to get it out. I don't even know if this is the high or low side. Any pointers I can get from you would be awesome.

I'm looking forward to digging through threads as I take on small projects like this!
Old 07-22-2017, 10:44 PM
951and944S
Race Car

Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by Jordan Wilkinson
Hello new friends! My name is Jordan from Tuscaloosa, AL. Yesterday I purchased an 86 951, and I thoroughly enjoyed the 2.5 hour drive home! I have some technical background, but mostly from working on my MGB, an altogether more primitive machine. I will make an effort to search the forums for answers, but my first is a bit of a conundrum.

AC worked just before the PO bought the car, but he never made an effort to repair after the purchase. This is my first time diagnosing AC problems, and the only thing I have been able to determine is that the only fitting I can find seemed to have something plastic threaded inside of it, perhaps from previous work. I believe this is a new fitting, suggesting freon conversion. There was no cap, and I've only chewed up the plastic piece trying to get it out. I don't even know if this is the high or low side. Any pointers I can get from you would be awesome.

I'm looking forward to digging through threads as I take on small projects like this!
You sure it's not part of an old cap or maybe one of those 134a can tap quick disconnect freon charge tools...?

The one universally sold with the gauge has a blue quick connect plastic end.

Just get a new conversion fitting and forget digging it out, NAPA has 'em with a schrader valve kit,

T
Old 07-23-2017, 02:04 PM
Humboldtgrin
Drifting

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

That is the high side ac fitting in your photo by the brake resivoir. The low side fitting is under the car by the compressor. Looks like your high side has the 134a fitting. You can just replace that fitting or just leave it be. You don't need the high side to charge the system. It's only there for reference to see the difference in pressure from high to low side. You charge by the low side.
Old 07-24-2017, 07:38 PM
Jordan Wilkinson
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Humboldtgrin
That is the high side ac fitting in your photo by the brake resivoir. The low side fitting is under the car by the compressor. Looks like your high side has the 134a fitting. You can just replace that fitting or just leave it be. You don't need the high side to charge the system. It's only there for reference to see the difference in pressure from high to low side. You charge by the low side.
The fitting itself seems to be a Low side fitting. High sides are fat, right?
Old 07-24-2017, 08:06 PM
PaulD_944S2
Burning Brakes

Received 39 Likes on 33 Posts

Whatever it is it full of dirt or debris.

Either clean or replace before using.
Old 07-24-2017, 10:23 PM
Humboldtgrin
Drifting

It can be a low side 134a fitting but it's on the high side. Both R12 fitting are the same size. But the low side R12 fitting is next to the compressor under the car.
Old 07-27-2017, 03:15 PM
Jordan Wilkinson
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Humboldtgrin
It can be a low side 134a fitting but it's on the high side. Both R12 fitting are the same size. But the low side R12 fitting is next to the compressor under the car.
Well that wouldn't be good. Crap. I was really hoping the low side port was up by the shock tower on my particular car. It has been hard to tell based on the references on different threads. Apparently this changed several times between years.

Based on another photo I found elsewhere, it seems someone broke off the cap that was on this port. If I had a way to be totally sure there was no pressure in the system, I would probably just replace it.I might try digging it out, test the pressure, then see. Sigh.
Old 07-28-2017, 01:24 PM
Humboldtgrin
Drifting

It's not that bad. Just don't turn the 134a can upside down. You don't want to freeze the compressor. That would be bad. It takes a while to fill. Usually two smaller cans of 134a will do. On the top of the dryer there is a sight glass, when charging the system you want to charge it until the bubbles go away in the sight glass. That's a full charge. I would use 134a with a dye in it for one of the cans so it's easier to find leaks if you have some.
Old 07-29-2017, 12:52 AM
Jordan Wilkinson
Intermediate

I'm going off of this page to determine that the low side is in fact by the strut tower:
http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsc...-86-944-a.html

I also just used the following page's tip to turn the wheel and found the high side port on my compressor. It was not in the same place on the compressor, however, indicating to me that the ports are most likely correct.
https://coryoncars.wordpress.com/201...arging-the-ac/

I just need to dig that broken plastic out and try putting dye refrigerant in it. Can anyone tel me this: When under the car, I see a wire coming from above, to the rear of the compressor pulley, then what seems like another leader coming from behind the pulley to a spot on the compressor itself. Is this where I would feed 12v to test the clutch coil? I'm having trouble finding this wire from above.
Old 07-29-2017, 01:12 AM
Jordan Wilkinson
Intermediate

Better yet, could I just use a test light on that contact point on the compressor?
Old 07-30-2017, 08:47 PM
PaulD_944S2
Burning Brakes

Received 39 Likes on 33 Posts

The larger line of the two lines is the "low side." The smaller is the "high" side.
Confirm by tracing the line to the compressor. If the line goes to the drier (looks like a large beer can with fittings on it right behind the driver side headlight) then that's the high side.

"When under the car, I see a wire coming from above, to the rear of the compressor pulley, then what seems like another leader coming from behind the pulley to a spot on the compressor itself. Is this where I would feed 12v to test the clutch coil? I'm having trouble finding this wire from above."

This description sounds like the compressor clutch power. The other wire that goes to the compressor is the clutch ground.

You haven't told us how you are filling the system, but R-134a refrigerant connectors are different sizes and will not interchange. If you are using one of the quickie kits from a parts store, it is only going to go on one of the two fittings.

Quick Reply: Greetings! ..also my first question