Notices
944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

What T do I need to use for my boost gauge?

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2003, 01:23 PM
Epic2112
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question What T do I need to use for my boost gauge?

I'm adding an aftermarket boost gauge to my car because in a few months I'll be doing some more upgrades. When I ordered the boost guage (from egauges.com) I also ordered the tubing kit which comes with tubing, 1/8 - 27 NPT and 1/4 - 18 NPT, and I ordered a T adapter. I expectedthat the T adapter would just be a barbed brass T, but the one I got is a brass sort of block with one male opening and two female openings. I have all that I need to connect the gauge to the adapter, but what do I need to connect the adapter to the vacuum line at the KLR? I'm a bonehead and know nothing about this stuff (learning as I go along) so if it's something that I can pick up at home depot great, but if not could someone point out what I need on the web somewhere? I also expected that the vacuum line to the gauge would be the same diameter as the stock one that goes to the KLR, but the one for the gauge seems to be smaller, is that right?

TIA
Old 11-22-2003, 02:29 PM
Epic2112
Addict
Rennlist Member

Oh, one more question: will teflon tape be enough to seal the fittings and everything together? If I put it all together without teflon tape and just hand tighten it and then blow through it it leaks like crazy.

sorry for all the stoopid newbie questions.
Old 11-22-2003, 03:19 PM
adrial
Nordschleife Master

What they send you is a compression fitting Tee IIRC.

You wont be able to use this on the hard line that is running to the KLR, at least I didn't think you'd be able to.

What I did is go to the local hardware store, pick up a plastic Tee and some small tubing that fit perfectly over the T and the outside of the KLR line. I then superglued the small tubing over the Tee and the KLR line....it's not the best setup, but it worked. I feel that this created a better seal than trying to stick a Tee into the very stiff hard line that runs to the KLR.

--adrial
Old 11-22-2003, 03:55 PM
Jake951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

NAPA sells a 7/16" rubber vacuum tee for something like $0.99. That's what I use and it works fine. I also recommend you use small tie-wraps around each connection of the tee.

I've also used the brass type of tee. It requires brass compression fittings that I bought from Autozone and from my local hardware store. Use teflon tape around the threads of the fittings. It's more work and more expense that the NAPA part, so I would recommend the NAPA tee if you can get one.
Old 11-22-2003, 10:26 PM
Pa_951
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

how often are you in pittsburgh with your car?
Old 11-23-2003, 01:41 AM
Mike951
Drifting

I did the same as Adrial, except i just tie wrapped teh ends of the T and didn;t use any superglue. Haven't had any problems.

Mike
Old 11-23-2003, 07:26 AM
Epic2112
Addict
Rennlist Member

that's probobly what I'm going to do, I expect to be going to napa tomorrow.

Pa_951, more often than not. I'm a student at Pitt, so unless I'm off for thanksgiving (now), christmas, spring break, or summer, I'm there.
Old 11-23-2003, 04:29 PM
rhesus
Addict
Rennlist Member

Be careful when you're running that vacuum line... it kinks & breaks REALLY easy!

Quick Reply: What T do I need to use for my boost gauge?