944 & 944S Forum 1982-1991

944 Misfire, Stumbles

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2017, 06:55 PM
MagusNotre
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 944 Misfire, Stumbles

Hey Everyone! new to this Website, and hoping to see if i can get some answers. My 84' 944 had a bad Cam cover gasket leak, and had to not drive it so i could fix it. come to find out that there was ALOT more involved. so $1800 later, new water pump, water pump studs, cam cover gasket, timing belt and some tensioners, and some misc. stuff. when the car turned over, it ran rough, very rough. checked the spark plugs, spark plug wires, injectors, distributor and still okay. i unplugged cylinder 1 fuel injector wire, ran rough, plugged it back, smoothed out...did that for cylinders 2 and 3....cylinder 4, when i did that, nothing changed. so i know that cylinder 4 is the culprit. i was told a burnt valve, but i know the symptoms wouldnt do that if the injector wires were pulled. would the cause be a short or some kind of cylinder 4 fuel injector wire fault? hope this was enough info! thanks!
Old 05-14-2017, 09:28 PM
marc abrams
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Welcome to the forum. I would start with a compression test. If you feel you're not getting injector pulse a noid light will test that. Injector #3 and 4 are wired together so I doubt you could lose 4 without losing 3 from a short or pulse from the DME. A open wire, yes.
Old 05-15-2017, 12:01 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 633 Likes on 490 Posts

+1 noid light to verify the injector is working, and also worth checking that the spark plug is firing on #4.

it is very easy to "manhandle" the injector wires when moving the rail out of the way to do the cam seals.

Quick Reply: 944 Misfire, Stumbles