Notices
944 & 944S Forum 1982-1991

Balance Belt Contacting Water Pump Roller (Help!)

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2017, 10:02 PM
TangoYankee
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Balance Belt Contacting Water Pump Roller (Help!)

Recently, I swapped the original water pump that had been in my '83 NA for the later-model upgraded pump.

I bought the rail and larger timing belt idle roller that were necessary to convert the car over from the older pump and installed everything with no issues.

When I was tensioning the belts, I noticed that the balance belt is contacting the water pump roller pretty firmly. I haven't started the engine yet, as I'm scared that this could cause the balance belt to jump and snap.

Is this the case? I wasn't able to find any other threads that discussed a problem like this. Is it even something I should be worried about?

Thanks!

Old 01-11-2017, 11:25 PM
peteb944
2nd Gear

Are you tightening the balance shaft belt by turning the adjustment nut clockwise (when facing he motor)?

Peter
Old 01-12-2017, 02:13 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 633 Likes on 490 Posts

grab each of the balance shaft gears and pull towards the front of the car...
does the belt touch still?
Old 01-13-2017, 09:13 PM
TangoYankee
Track Day

Originally Posted by peteb944
Are you tightening the balance shaft belt by turning the adjustment nut clockwise (when facing he motor)?

Peter
Thank you, as, after looking at it again, I realized i had turned the eccentric roller counter clockwise. Still, after readjusting and re-tightening the belt, it doesn't seem to be contacting anymore but is very, very close. I ended up taking my chances and running the engine for a few seconds (as it currently doesn't have any coolant in it) and everything seemed fine. As the belt stretches out, I'll keep an eye on it.

Thanks again!

Quick Reply: Balance Belt Contacting Water Pump Roller (Help!)