NA Custom Exhaust Build

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2016, 05:04 PM
ledspider
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default NA Custom Exhaust Build

Hello Rennlist,
A few weeks back I started planing a custom exhaust build for my 85.5. I had only one goal to make something that would not be to loud as I daily drive her all over the place, but other wise had no other goals. Last week I decided it was time to chop it and commit to the build.

As I do daily drive the car and I am only able to work on the exhaust after work, I am building it in steps and making changes both as I go and in the future. For now I am going to use all of the stock hangers and locations to keep it easy.

Pile of 2.5'' stainless steel pipe that is to become an exhaust.

I reduced the 2.5'' to fit the stock 944 exhaust, leaving the o2 location to save time. Then installed an all stainless steel 6'' resonator. The cat will be a high flow right before the hanger. This winter I hope is to make custom headers too.

Mocking up the rear, there will be a straight though muffler. For time saving the tip will be a 3'' pipe out the back. To come will be some kind of oval slash cut tip too look kind of like the stock tip but 1 off.

It is all tucked in tight, the resonator fits right where the cat was, muffler is way smaller, so I will not have clearances issues anywhere in the system.

It was late when I finished welding, I will put more photos up next time I get it on the lift. As for noise its louder, but no gaskets does not help . I think it should sound nice when all together which I hope to be early this week.
Old 10-31-2016, 09:27 AM
AZ520
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looks good! Don't waste your time with the headers, Porsche made them for you already. I have the stock manifold and msds headers, only difference is a slight high rpm gain and hotter engine bay, plus they leak if you don't use remflex gaskets. The stock later tube type manifolds are the best for all around power imo.
Old 10-31-2016, 10:03 AM
M3loco
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Make 2.. I'll pay shipping also!
Old 10-31-2016, 04:50 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 662 Likes on 515 Posts

looks good, a little big on the pipe but the important parts (stock manifold/collector) are still there.

if you do make your own headers keep the secondary/collector diameter around stock size and just transition to fit the rest of your system.

i'd make your tip stick out past the bumper - anywhere further forward than stock and the whole back of the car becomes a boom-box.

Quick Reply: NA Custom Exhaust Build