944 & 944S Forum 1982-1991

hard to turn

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2016, 03:21 PM
bobt4945
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default hard to turn

My youngest son is driving our 87 944 na saying it was hard to turn to the left, told him to check fluid level and the belt. called a week later saying now it was hard to turn both ways when starting from a stop, once he was going it wasn't so bad. is it the power steering pump or is it the rack? any opinions greatly appreciated. (side note car is in Indiana and dad (the mechanic is in North Dakota, son is coming up for a week before returning to start Sr. yr. of college back in Indiana so want to get the right part(s) to repair). thanks and GOD BLESS.

bob
Old 08-05-2016, 05:49 AM
FlyBoy1986
Advanced

Sounds like the pump went out. check for fluid leaks coming from the rack as well, mine has a rotted hose and I'm in the middle of replacing it.
Old 08-05-2016, 12:50 PM
thomasmryan
Drifting

Received 121 Likes on 89 Posts

you should be able to pick up dex II D at napa. fluid should be checked with the engine at idle.

hard to turn might also be...

1) low tire pressure (but this would not explain the left only symptom)
2) binding upper strut perch bearing. loaded, you are trying to twist the spring.
3) bad ball joint.
Old 08-08-2016, 09:20 AM
AZ520
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the same issue, hard to turn at slow speeds, very hard when stopped. I have been searching for a quick check to determine if its the pump or the rack. Anyone know?
Old 08-09-2016, 02:24 AM
mel_t_vin
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by AZ520
I have the same issue, hard to turn at slow speeds, very hard when stopped.
Have never made it a practice to turn the steering wheel on any car, assisted or not, while stopped/not moving. Puts too much stress on the components.

Belt intact? Clean fluid in the reservoir? Most likely the pump.
Old 09-28-2020, 10:12 PM
benjay
Track Day

Originally Posted by bobt4945
My youngest son is driving our 87 944 na saying it was hard to turn to the left, told him to check fluid level and the belt. called a week later saying now it was hard to turn both ways when starting from a stop, once he was going it wasn't so bad. is it the power steering pump or is it the rack? any opinions greatly appreciated. (side note car is in Indiana and dad (the mechanic is in North Dakota, son is coming up for a week before returning to start Sr. yr. of college back in Indiana so want to get the right part(s) to repair). thanks and GOD BLESS.

bob
are you able to tell me about your past issues with tough turning to the left? I have the same problem and unable to troubleshoot the problem. My pump was leaking when i go the car and I rebuilt it with the seal kit. Flushed the system and put in ATF dexron 3. Leak gone...new tie rods put on it alignment done. At slower speeds definitely have some assist to turn right but left is much harder. Front end jacked turning easy both ways with engine off.

Quick Reply: hard to turn