944 & 944S Forum 1982-1991

No crank but starter works

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2016, 10:13 PM
champagne944
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default No crank but starter works

Like the title stats my car won't crank with the key. I have power at the underhood connection (red/black wire) with the key at the start position.

If I supply power directly from the battery to that same connection, the starter will engage and operate correctly.

If my starter solenoid isn't functioning correctly, is it possible that the factory voltage through the key isn't enough? But supplying power directly from the battery is enough?

Any thoughts or input greatly appreciated, Jeff

(Car is an early 85 n/a)
Old 04-12-2016, 03:55 AM
mel_t_vin
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

From what I recall, when this happens on an early car, the No Start is often caused by the ignition switch [revised on late cars], or the wiring from the ignition switch to the starter.

My suggestion...get a copy of the factory wiring diagram, check for 12v at the ignition switch when key is in ON position, and check for 12v at the starter when key is in RUN/START position.
Old 04-12-2016, 03:45 PM
AlphaOmegaPower
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by champagne944
Like the title stats my car won't crank with the key. I have power at the underhood connection (red/black wire) with the key at the start position.

If I supply power directly from the battery to that same connection, the starter will engage and operate correctly.

If my starter solenoid isn't functioning correctly, is it possible that the factory voltage through the key isn't enough? But supplying power directly from the battery is enough?

Any thoughts or input greatly appreciated, Jeff

(Car is an early 85 n/a)
Tap the solenoid with a hammer a few times. Had this issue with my 83 after it sat a while. Might work if everything else is in place.

Quick Reply: No crank but starter works