Notices

upgraded speakers on s2 - cheap and easy

Old 05-11-2019, 11:50 AM
craigmakes321
Addict
Rennlist Member

Default upgraded speakers on s2 - cheap and easy

Hello: I am at the stage of refurbishing the smaller details on the car after taking care of (most) of the larger mechanical issues. I needed to replace the door speakers and tweeters, but didn't want to go crazy with a custom system. Obviously there are limitations to the choices on the original speakers, so this is what I came up with. The alpine's fit inside the original plastic ring meant for the "woofer" and only require that you drill four holes in the plastic housing. Obviously be careful with the size of the hole, as the screws will crack the plastic if the hole is too small. Work the original screws in by going in a turn, backing it out, going in another turn, etc. The Alpine is a two stage, which makes up for the missing tweeters that are above the electric window switches. I have not managed to find a tweeter to fit that space because they all seem to have a domed grill, and they will not fit under the original grill covers on the door-card. I will keep looking, but I think the two phase alpine's make it unnecessary. I did not replace the rear speakers, they work and provide a bit of base, and replacing them is not worth the effort to me at the moment.
Old 05-21-2019, 06:31 PM
PDubya958
User

Im looking to upgrade my speakers. What size Alpines did you use?
Old 05-22-2019, 07:13 AM
thomasmryan
User

you will get more bass is the perimeter of the speaker was sealed.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - About Us - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: