944 & 944S Forum 1982-1991

Advice needed 944 Sunroof Manual Conversion

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2018, 03:49 PM
Andddddy
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Advice needed 944 Sunroof Manual Conversion

Hi guys ive just decided to try and convert my electric sunroof to a manual one. Ive read a few guides and basically it seems you need to buy 924 roof latches, then you put them on the sunroof and they should clamp into the old rails from the sliders from the electric roof.

My question is this- In the photo I have attached I am wondering how the latch has been attached to the 944 roof as there doesn't appear to be any holes in my sunroof for it to bolt into. Also can someone just clarify I am trying to buy the correct parts (Ones in photos) Also would like to know if this is possible on my car. Ive heard there are some issues with later cars. Mine is a 1986 944 (Not sure if its early or late)

Ive also put in some photos of my roof as it currently sits.

Thanks, any advice appriciated

Old 10-03-2018, 04:13 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 633 Likes on 490 Posts

on the last photo you see the 2 screws holding that manual latch on?
when you remove your sunroof panel from the car you'll see those 2 screws holding your current power mechanism.
unscrew, remove power roof parts, install manual latch in its place, re-screw.

on the chassis side, the "lifting arms" have a sort of gearbox thing on either side (black plastic). there's a thin plastic cover and a thicker part attached to the roof.
remove the thin plastic cover, remove the power sunroof guts (lifting arms, gear-cable thing), and the manual latch engages on the remaining "thicker part".
Old 10-03-2018, 04:47 PM
Andddddy
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok thank you I thought that was how I should do it. I wasnt sure if the holes you were talking about were the same spacing.

Quick Reply: Advice needed 944 Sunroof Manual Conversion