944 & 944S Forum 1982-1991

*shocker* 1985 944 won't start

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2018, 11:46 PM
Neil Hatten
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default *shocker* 1985 944 won't start

So I picked up this 1985 944 on a whim.. beautiful inside but pretty beat up outside. Didn't pay much for it, fun project right? I haven't really driven it yet, I'm waiting for my my paint guy to get time for me and the tires are a bit sketchy at the moment. I start it up regularly and it has always been fine unless I have to jump it. I recently re assembled the inside and added a new Pioneer Bluetooth head unit. The only power lead is constant (is that normal?), and the unit doesn't fully shut down, so I pulled the radio fuse under the hood, the next day, it won't start.. cranks, but no fire and it does have spark. A day later after pulling and re setting relays and checking fuses, still no start, later that night.. it just starts. Took it for a quick spin, no problem, shut it off, restarted no problem. So I park back in the garage (I'm not sure if I put in the radio fuse for my quick spin, likely not). Two days later, I'm going to drive my daughter to work in it so I pull off the roof, fire it up with no problem - THEN I open the fuse panel and put in the radio fuse and it dies immediately and hasn't started since. I read in some threads about some factory immobilizer, is this somehow related to the radio fuse? The tach does bounce while cranking FYI - I believe that was something everyone said to look for in other forums.. HELP
Old 05-03-2018, 01:14 AM
mel_t_vin
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Does your car have a second key lock on the driver side just to the right of the door handle/lock?

Post a photo of the fuse panel and point to the fuse that you are "pulling".

Quick Reply: *shocker* 1985 944 won't start