944 & 944S Forum 1982-1991

Engine knock and frame shake in 3 and 4th gear

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2018, 11:36 PM
Angus Shaw
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine knock and frame shake in 3 and 4th gear

Oil and Filter Change did not go as planned, we are now experiencing an engine knock along with frame shaking at certain gear/rpm speeds. Here's the story with videos, any help would great!
1987 NA
Engine was purring like a little cat up until this point. Drained the oil and inspected with with there being no metal or sludge. Installed new Mahle OC75 filter with oil around the ring (did not fill it with oil) replaced 4 quarts of 15W-40 (we should have done 5)
Everything sounded fine and he took it around the block.
Pulled into the garage and when he killed the engine we heard a long tapping followed by a gushing that sounded like the oil was dropping on the pavement (it hadn't)
We looked up the specs and it was 5 to 6 liters so we quickly added 2 more quarts
We are still hearing a light ticking and a pretty hard vibration in between gears 3 and 4
We ran through all the gears with the car in the air with no vibration issues so I am hoping it is a stuck lifter (no even sure I understand that, ha)

We are scheduled for the mechanic tomorrow but since we are attempting to learn this car together I was hoping for some help from the community!

Be gentle, we are learning, ha!
Attached Files
File Type: avi
Short run with gears.avi (1.99 MB, 16 views)
Low Rpm's in 3rd.avi (4.82 MB, 12 views)
4th and 5th no rattle.avi (2.29 MB, 10 views)
Old 03-13-2018, 01:14 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 633 Likes on 490 Posts

944s usually take 6 quarts, for one thing. some models even more.
however you have fitted a 928-spec oil filter which has twice the capacity of a 944 filter so that will need probably another 1/2 qt on top of the normal spec to keep full. however i don't believe the 928 filter has a drainback valve since on a 928 the filter is installed "pointing down", opposite a 944.
Old 03-14-2018, 12:32 PM
Angus Shaw
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

V2 we visited with the local porsche mech trained in Germany years ago that worked their race team and the bad news for us is that our engine shake is the clutch going out, so on to buying one of those, ha. He recommended 20/40 non synthetic for us at 6.5 quarts and felt the Mahle filters were great to stick with. It's interesting that this filter is a spec 928, not the 944. Do you recommend a spec 944 filter and what would that be?

Also will do some research on the clutch kit, he is recommending Sach's but is sounds like there is a wide variety of options out there and if I can save a few dollars on a quality product they can install it would be great!
Old 03-14-2018, 04:57 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 633 Likes on 490 Posts

stock i think is OC142

Sachs is the best for a "stock" car.

Quick Reply: Engine knock and frame shake in 3 and 4th gear