944 & 944S Forum 1982-1991

Oil Pressure Sending Unit Wires

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2017, 07:54 PM
Rensb
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Oil Pressure Sending Unit Wires

I just replaced my old Oil Pressure sending unit with a FAE version.
The new version has specific connection posts (i.e. one is Large, and one is Small).
The old unit only had the same size posts, and the wire ends also have the same size holes.
Does anyone know which wire goes to which post?
(i.e. Blue with with white stripe to "x" post, etc...)

I know that if you wire it up "Wrong" the fix is just to redo it, but I'd really like to get it right the first time.
Old 10-02-2017, 09:57 AM
931guru
Rennlist Member

Received 335 Likes on 275 Posts

What did you do?
Old 10-14-2017, 09:10 AM
Rensb
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

When I removed the old unit (original as far as I could tell), the Posts on the old unit were the same size HOWEVER the spades on the factory wire were one large, and one small (but same size holes in the posts for both).

I decided to match the placement of the Car wires to the new unit posts (i.e. Large for Large, Small for Small).
One modification that I had to make was I had to drill out / widen the hole on the car's large spade (because originally it was the same size as the small hole).

When I wired them up and started the car, my initial thought was that I had done it wrong, the pressure needle seemed to jump to 5 right away. (Please keep in ming that this car hasn't been started consistently for 16 years).

After around 20 mins or running and some moderate driving, the needle "Woke-up" and then backed-off of the 5 mark. It stayed around 3.5-4, and would increase to 4.5-5 when I used the accelerator.

Since then (with more consistent use), when I start the car, the needle will slowly climb to 5 (in the first 4-5 seconds of the start), stay at 5 for the first 20 minutes of running, and then work as intended.

I don't know if this is normal or not (staying in 5 until the engine is "warmed-up"", everyone, please weigh in), but it does work. I don't know id another brand would give me an "instant reading" upon start-up of that's just the way these cars work.

Hope it helps.
Old 10-14-2017, 01:18 PM
931guru
Rennlist Member

Received 335 Likes on 275 Posts

That's the way the oil pressure sensor works.
Old 10-17-2017, 02:05 AM
mel_t_vin
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Rensb
After around 20 mins or running and some moderate driving, the needle "Woke-up" and then backed-off of the 5 mark. It stayed around 3.5-4, and would increase to 4.5-5 when I used the accelerator.
Normal.

At hot idle, oil pressure will probably be ~2.0 bar, +/- 0.5 bar.

Quick Reply: Oil Pressure Sending Unit Wires