944 & 944S Forum 1982-1991

What muffler for my 87 944

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2003, 11:57 PM
Antonio951
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What muffler for my 87 944

Hi, im new to the forum, i just got a 87 944 n/a (my first porsche) with 80K miles. The guy that had it had it for 15 years and he was on oxygen and couldnt have it anymore because he had a hard time getting in and out of the car. I got it for 4000. It does not have any leaks, he had the timingbelt changed at 60K and done all the maintenance on it. He also bought genuine porsche stainless stell 16 inch wheels for 950 each(i checked it out on the net and he was telling the truth about the price). Anyway......I need some advice. I changed the sparkplugs to the dual platinum tipped bosch. I changed the air filter to K&N(like the stock airfilter model) and i have been putting premium fuel in it and some fuel injector cleaner(chevron techron) and i changed the oil at a dealership and they put valvoline. Well im going to drain the oil here in about 2 weeks and get Mobil 1. Also getting redline tranny/differential oil changed in a couple days. Well as you can see i got some things set up for the car to baby it. Anyway, what kind of muffler can i get for it. I think the current one has a leak and i can hear a rattle when im at about 2800 rpm's(think the muffler is a little bit loose). The tip of the muffler is also a little bit rusted. I checked the car over when it was on the lift getting the oil change, not one pice of rust, also checked the engine and not one leak. ANY ADVICE WOULD BE GREAT.
One thing i have noticed driving this car is how awsome it handels. I work at a dealership so i get to drive a lot of nice cars but for a car that is 16 years old this thing is amazing. The car just feels so solid, even when you shut the driver door. Hey, thanks for reading this and please let me know if you have any adivce.
Old 10-18-2003, 01:50 AM
Jamie944
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

First off, welcome to the forum and congrats on one of the greatest cars ever built. You will probably not get very many if any more responses in this forum. You need to post in the 924/944/951/968 forum. That is where everyone hangs out. You will find more information than you can take in here. Also the search function is a great tool to use when you have questions. Now for your question on the muffler. I would get another 944 muffler you can pick them up on e-bay pretty reasonably. Or you can get a Bursch muffler while at it I would pick up their header also. You can get both for around 500.00 Their are some other options but the price goes up alot. MSDS has a system for 900.00 all stainless steel. Well hope I helped out and hope to see you on the boards.

later jamie
Old 10-20-2003, 01:23 AM
Blue S2
Race Car

I will sell you my OEM S2 cat-back exhaust system if you are interested. I have pictures if you want too. Its clean, and in good condition. Chrome tip is still very shiny and nice. I think you would just have to verify if the S2 shape will fit in on yours. I assume it does, but im not positive. I dont see why they would change the shape of a N/A car design so late in the game. Let me know either here or through a PM if you have any interest.
Old 10-20-2003, 11:30 PM
bearone
Three Wheelin'

i got an oem that bolted to the cat and all the other attach points from www.performanceproducts.com for under $200.

Quick Reply: What muffler for my 87 944