Boot/Trunk Opening itself

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2003, 06:08 PM
Ants
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Boot/Trunk Opening itself

Hi Guys

I wonder if anyone can help, my Boot/Trunk keeps opening itself (1984 944) just popping its catches. I've disconnected the electric release wire from behind the spare wheel so i know its not the electric release causing it...more like the catches won't keep the boot closed

Is there an easy way to cure this, as fumes keep getting into the cabin and i have to keep stopping to shut it again

Cheers

Ants
Old 10-12-2003, 06:20 PM
IceShark
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You can try adjusting the 2 mushroom head studs a little longer and see if that will do it and still keep the hatch tight against the weather strip.

You may need to buy replacement studs as what happens is the flat catching surface of the stud is worn and rounded and the clam shell catches just get pried open by body flex.

You may also have to remove the blocks the studs screw into and put them in a vise to unscrew/screw the studs if the studs have been frozen in the blocks. You don't want to put too much strain on the blocks as they will twist the aluminum hatch frame and delaminate your glass. You REALLY don't want that to happen.
Old 10-13-2003, 03:56 PM
Ants
AutoX

Thanx very much for that IceShark...on closer inspection you were right...the mushroom head bolts have rounded. I managed to turn one of then to a flatter side and that is holding it for now...will have to try again with the other one probably taking the whole thing off

Thanx for that

Ants
Old 10-14-2003, 09:56 PM
Diver944
Pro

Another thing to check is if the catches in the latch blocks are opening and closing freely. Look down into the latch holes and turn the key in the lock, you should see the two catches opening and closing easily. If not you need to clean out all the muck in them and then relubricate with grease. These need greasing quite regularly as they are drainage holes for water.

Mine were sticking so that when I slammed the glass it pushed open the catches and they stayed open, never gripping the mushrooms
Old 10-15-2003, 05:32 AM
Ants
AutoX

Cheers Diver...that was actually the first thing i checked mine move in and out perfectly, but moving the mushroom bolt round to a flat side has done the trick

Quick Reply: Boot/Trunk Opening itself