Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2003, 08:32 PM
adrian_jaye
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Unhappy snapped head bolts, pissed off and x-posted all over

ok,

problem:
3 rocker cover bolts are now snapped into the cylinder head, one has a snapped stud extractor tool !
have re-fitted all, awaiting some action, (loads of HYLOMAR!).
Have some theories, can I have some GOOD eductaed guess's or real experience.

TIME LINE:
1> originally removed bolts (they were really tight)
2> when refitting I torqued them all up, Now I possibly Over tignedten them but were all ok, ran engine up to get her hot, then tigten them again, switched engine off, done another check and one bolt snapped
3> car ran with no drippage at all for at least 1 month
4> today (with some help) we tried to remove the original bolt, but then snapped a stud extractor into the hole.
5> decided to leave dogs lie and put back together
6> on refitting old bolts (with a new torque wrnech set to 15lbs) seemed a problem , so turned down to 8lbs, snapped another one, then while hand tigteneging, stnapped the third

ok, theory is, that step 1 & step 2, had stressed/streched them , so now they were really weak, so questions (considerening there are 13 bolts, 9 long ones (£25 each, 4 small ones £5 each)

1> the bolts are Allen keyd, and are a weird shape ie not a not bolt, but contoured, going to do some manufacturing using standard bolts and collers etc.

2> was considering bolts from a breakers but, if these soft alloy bolts are stressed are they prone to snapping ?

3> HOW DO YALL tiugtened them up, with an allen key, hand tight ? or how

4> ANY OF YALL had similar problems ?

5> replacing the 4 short ones are not a problem , but if I have to shell out £25 quid for 9 !

6> going to drill out the old bolts carefully and if the thread strips (it looks like there are inserts) are they available, or dealer fit, other option is to fit a heli-coil, which cuts a thread inside the insert so the orginal bolts will fit.

ideas, suggestions, shoulder to cry on

((((((((((((((((((((((((

Ad
Old 10-11-2003, 09:02 PM
smkn951
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

dang, did murphy even give you the reach around?

Quick Reply: snapped head bolts, pissed off and x-posted all over