944 & 944S Forum 1982-1991

indexing spark plugs

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2003, 12:25 AM
philted
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default indexing spark plugs

I have some spare time on my hands and want to index the plugs in my 944S2. The problem is that I cannot determine the direction in which I should index the plugs. Should I am the gap up, facing the top of the engine? I have been unable to find a drawing of the combustion chamber to give me some guidance.
Old 10-05-2003, 10:17 PM
triscadek
Addict
Rennlist Member

I would think up, facing the intake.
Old 10-05-2003, 10:41 PM
Paul Bloomberg
Pro

I tried it maybe I did it wrong.
My understsanding is the open side of the plug should face toward the intake. My dyno results looked the same so either way + or - it should have made a difference. It didn't....on a 944-Spec car

This brings up another question does a bigger spark make for more complete combustion?
If the spark ignites the a/f mix are there power gains to be had from a MSD or bigger spark?
I could see where one of these devices would make more power due to a stock ignition system not putting out a enough voltage causing misfires with a non-stock compression ratio, but for a stock ignition system in good tune with a stock motor, how will these "high voltage units" make more power.
Is the explosion bigger from me using a lighter or a flare to look inside my gas tank filler hole??? Or is it different due to the compression, but wouldn't that just be to get the initial spark?

Any comments from tuners or someone with experience with after market ignitions would be greatly appreciated.
Paul

Quick Reply: indexing spark plugs