944 & 944S Forum 1982-1991

Electrical woes

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2015, 12:51 PM
dgeatdg
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Electrical woes

SO i just bought this nice 83 944 which had some major wiring issues. The previous owner turned the lights on and smoked the wiring harness ion the process. I found another harness and installed it. So now I am trying to figure out why all my auxiliary fuses are hot even with the ignition off. Is that normal? I would think that the fuses should only be hot with the key on. I disconnected the ignition switch harness and they're still hot. What am I missing? Car will not star as of now.
Old 11-11-2015, 11:04 AM
jr10cross
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

Some are normally hot even with the switch off. I also recently purchased an 84 and i had to wire something into the fuse box. Notice that a few were hot with the key out of the ignition. But I found one that I could use that lost power when I removed the key. Hope that helps!
Old 11-12-2015, 11:17 AM
dmjames
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yep, there are a number of circuits that are still hot with the key out- that's how you can do things like turn off the headlights and have them close up, or have the radio antenna finish lowering all the way if you pull the key out in the middle. Same with the cooling fan that will keep running for a while after you shut off the car.

Quick Reply: Electrical woes