944 & 944S Forum 1982-1991

HELP!!! broken hood latch

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2003, 10:27 PM
peter_euro
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HELP!!! broken hood latch

I just picked up my car from stereo shop and after they messed under the driver kickpanel installing some electronics, my hood opener fell apart on me this evening with all the pieces falling off and the handle and cable hanging on the side and plastic housing falling off completely... now I cannot open my hood... How do I go about fixing this and what parts do I need (I see the big bracket and the handle with cable mounted to it but there must be something to retain the handle and most likely most hardware... Is there a place where I can get the info or can someone explain to me what to do... I really have to be able to open the hood and rather not deal with the place that broke it... Or do I just take it to the dealer?
Old 07-24-2003, 02:03 PM
peter_euro
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: HELP!!! broken hood latch

Originally posted by peter_euro
I just picked up my car from stereo shop and after they messed under the driver kickpanel installing some electronics, my hood opener fell apart on me this evening with all the pieces falling off and the handle and cable hanging on the side and plastic housing falling off completely... now I cannot open my hood... How do I go about fixing this and what parts do I need (I see the big bracket and the handle with cable mounted to it but there must be something to retain the handle and most likely most hardware... Is there a place where I can get the info or can someone explain to me what to do... I really have to be able to open the hood and rather not deal with the place that broke it... Or do I just take it to the dealer?
you guys are no help... either unwilling or not knowledgable....
Old 07-24-2003, 07:42 PM
88BlueTSiQuest
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Working in the industry that broke your car..... I'd have to say take the car back to them. Most places carry insurance for such occasions as this. If they can't fix it, they will usually authorize you to get it fixed, at their expense. At which case, you can take the car to the local Porsche dealership and have it fixed correctly, or at least get an estimate for repair that the Car Audio shops insurance will pay you for.

To get you by until that time, to get under the hood all you'd need is a pair of vice grips, that you can use to pull on the hood release cable. The cable itself shouldn't of been busted. My guess would be they just simply forgot to put the screws back into the hood release handle retaining it to the kickpanel, and it 'fell apart'.

Just my 2.5 cents, hope it helps

Quick Reply: HELP!!! broken hood latch