944 & 944S Forum 1982-1991

87 944 Turn Signal Problem

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2013, 03:04 PM
AKA_951
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 87 944 Turn Signal Problem

I have a situation with my turn signals leading me to believe it's a ground issue or a contact resistance issue in the assembly. Does the turn signal ground under the headlamp motor?

Here are the symptoms:
Hazards work
Key off: All lefts light up
Key off: All rights light up
Key on: Lefts blink normally
Key on: Right rear blinks fast, right front not at all

I switched the bulbs, but I get the same symptoms so the bulbs are good.

Any ideas?
Old 03-22-2013, 12:16 PM
AKA_951
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

FIXED:

Last night I turned the signal on and wiggled the bulb around, and it came on flashing. I guess over time the contacts in the housings get a bit corroded. I also noticed that my hazard switch is temporarily plugged in. The plastic trim that it sits in has a broken clip in the far left side, and that might have something to do with it. I noticed the when I changed my 7-seg clock LCD a couple years back. I have had problems with the hazard switch before, but I believe the turn signal issue was due to faulty connections causing too much resistance. As soon as I pick up my new tachometer, this car should be fully functional. There's a first time for everything
Old 03-22-2013, 05:08 PM
rickb20
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Now you've gone and done it...

AKA_951 said, "As soon as I pick up my new tachometer, this car should be fully functional. There's a first time for everything"

Congrats and enjoy it while you can. When you get to that point it becomes a lot easier to manage when issues arise.

Quick Reply: 87 944 Turn Signal Problem