944 & 944S Forum 1982-1991

944 stalling issue

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2012, 05:20 PM
tsmith944
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 944 stalling issue

I just bought an 87 944 project car that was said to have a blown head gasket. Well i just did the gasket and all the seals, went to fire it up and and it ran for one second (rough) before stalling. I tried a few more times, but it did that every time.

I saw i forgot to plug in the MAF sensor, so I did that, hoping it would fix it, but when i went to start the car, all the lights went dea and got no response from the ignition. I plucked the ignition relay x and shook it and could hear it rattling pretty good.

I just ordered another one, but i am reluctant to put it in for it to just go bad again.

Does anyone know why this may happen, It worked fine up until i plugged in the MAF sensor, is it coincidence?

Also, I am half way through taking off the dash, I'm going to look around to make sure there arent connectors touching.

What do you guys think, mostly about the starting for a second and then stalling.

Any information is greatly appreciated.

This is my 4th 944 and is going to be my long-time restoration project, i just want to get it running before proceeding with everything else.

Thanks guys!
Old 11-04-2012, 12:31 PM
Whipmeister
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

DME Relay is the most common answer. The DME is bypassed during cranking so fuel pump runs. As soon as you stop cranking, the DME comes into play. If the relay is working, that is. If it's not it ****s off the fuel pump.

I have a similar but different problem. Car starts and will run for a few seconds (10-30 seconds if it has been sitting for a while), then sputters and dies. Each subsequent start attempt the run time gets shorter and shorter until it won't fire at all. Let it sit a while and you can repeat the process.

Quick Reply: 944 stalling issue