944 & 944S Forum 1982-1991

Sunroof Storage

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2002, 02:25 PM
JGriff
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Sunroof Storage

In anticipation of good weather arriving in a couple of months, I pose the following questions about sunroof storage:

I looked in the owner’s manual, and it mentions that there are some straps that hold the sunroof in place in the trunk/hatch area after it has been removed. I don’t believe that I have them… the PO said that he never removed the roof the whole time he had it!! I don’t see them anywhere in the car, so I ask... are these readily available... via a parts dealer or Porsche dealer... or are they made of "unobtainium", and NLA?

Do these straps do a good job of holding the roof in place (especially if you do some spirited driving), or is there a better alternative? What are the negatives to using these straps?

Does anyone have a set that they don’t want... or have an extra set for sale?

Or instead of straps, should I just design and sew together some sort of fleece (or other soft material) pouch? (I would design it so that I could secure it to the same metal rings as the OEM straps.)

Thanks.

Jim
Old 01-23-2002, 03:28 PM
Mr. Bates - Masta2U
Instructor

Look in the side storage wells and the spare tire well. there isnt much to the straps. Also, take the straps from any hatchback and use them for what youre doing.
Old 01-23-2002, 09:36 PM
Dave in Chicago
Rennlist Member

Received 258 Likes on 167 Posts
The straps are part of the sunroof bag that came with these cars. It's leather-looking vinyl with a BIG zipper that allows you to bag the roof, then strap the bag to the rear of the hatch area. In my experience, it's held just fine for everything but track driving (which requires roof anyway). Look for the bags on eBay, I got a perfect condition bag there about a year ago.

Keep the shiny side up,
Old 01-25-2002, 04:01 AM
Es3L
Instructor

back seat serves this purpose well.
Old 01-25-2002, 09:42 AM
JGriff
Racer

Originally posted by Es3L:
<STRONG>back seat serves this purpose well.</STRONG>
I was thinking of that also, but my car came with an Autopower roll bar installed. The rear seats are folded flat right now, and the roll bar goes across the seatbacks in the horizontal position. See my sig for my website for pics, if you are curious.

Looks like a sunroof bag is the way to go for me. I have been contacted by someone who has one and we have made arrangements for a sale. I should have it within the next week sometime.

Thanks to everyone for the replies.

Jim
Old 01-27-2002, 01:03 AM
Es3L
Instructor

i got a sunroof bag that never gets any use. make an offer, its in perfect condition.
Old 01-27-2002, 01:19 AM
JGriff
Racer

[quote]Originally posted by Es3L:
<strong>i got a sunroof bag that never gets any use. make an offer, its in perfect condition.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Thanks for the offer.

I just received an e-mail confirming that the one that I mentioned above should be arriving within the next couple of days.

Thanks though... I appreciate it.

Jim

Quick Reply: Sunroof Storage