944 & 944S Forum 1982-1991

Can I fit in a 944 (6'8")

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2002, 05:01 PM
KTMracer
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Can I fit in a 944 (6'8")

First off - I have never owned a Porsche. But I always new I would. I guess that now that I'm pushing 40 I can call it a mid-life thing. I got the urge in the last couple of weeks to finally go out and find the right one. After the reseach I've done I think the 944S2 is the car for me. My expectations for the car I want are very high. I want full records. I want the car to be perfect or very near perfect inside and out. I plan to keep it in the garage and only drive it when the mood hits me. With that said - I found a PCA member car located within 4 hours of me that is what I'm looking for. From talking with the owner by phone and looking at his e-mail pictures I am satisfied that this is an excellent car. Now comes the question. I am 6'8" tall 265#. Am I going to be able to fit in this car much less be able to drive it. - - I know, just go try one out and see. Well that is not an easy option because where I live there is not an abundance of 944's to try out. Are there any tall folks out there who can advise me on this?
By the way - '89 S2, 89K miles, all records, recent service (belts, including timing) , new tires, body, paint, interior - near perfect. The owner is asking $10,750. Fair price?

Thanks - -
Old 01-19-2002, 01:00 PM
icat
Race Car

I'm 6'1" and feel I'm a bit short for my weight.
My head just clears the roof, and my hair often brushes the top. When I have a helmet on at an autocross or DE event, it seams that I'm holding my head slightly askew. This is on my '86 951 with sunroof. Unless the 944 your looking at doesn't have the sunroof, my guess is you won't fit.
I did drive a 928 once that I didn't have the seat set right, there was NO head room at all - and I wanted that car so bad. I later drove another and was able to reset the seat so it was comfortable. You may be able to get enough of a backward rake on the front seats to give you some headroom.
On the price, the car's worth what ever you want to pay for it. As you know, these cars aren't made anymore, so this puts them into the collector category. My only advise is to have a pre-purchase inspection done and reduce the price by what ever additional work needs to be done.
Old 01-21-2002, 01:23 PM
Michael Stephenson
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I am 6'-4" @ #270. I fit OK without a helmet, I have to put the seat in a less than ideal position when doing an event that requires a helmet.

Of all the Porsches in which I have had the opportunity to sit (944 Coupe, 968 Cab, 911 Coupe, 911 Targa, 928), the 944 had the most headroom. However, I think a 911 with a seat modification might give more head room than a 944.

The S2 sounds like a fair price, but it may need other work such as a clutch, A-arms and the infamous, but very important, cam chain tensioner unit (not the same as the timing belts). Have it checked by a Porsche mechanic.
Old 03-13-2002, 08:21 AM
CBass
Racer

You can get a 944 turbo for quite a bit less than that, they're better performers, and they get better mileage, with cheaper parts.

I'm 6'3", and I have a 924. Same car, just an earlier model. Anyways, you won't find a sports car with more leg room than a 924/944, or with better performance options.

I find I have tons of head room in the 2 924's I've been in, inches to spare.
Old 03-17-2002, 11:12 PM
Irish
Intermediate

I am 6'2 1/2" tall and 242lb. My 944S fits me fine. The electric seats can be lowered and raked back to give you more room. The leg room is actually so much that I have to pull the seat forward a couple of inches for best fit. My "S" is an earlier version of the S2 you are looking at. It also has the sunroof option. My only complaint and this is a minor thing, but the seats squeeze my butt too much, (Does this car make my butt look big?? lol)

In comparision, I cannot fit in a Boxster at all.

Quick Reply: Can I fit in a 944 (6'8")