Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2002, 08:04 PM
Konstantin
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Post boring and/or stroking a S2/968 block

Hello
I need some specific infos what is better to do for a future turbo engine. I want to know if I can bore or stroke or both in order to go to biger than 3.0 L turbo Engine. I know that it can be done but how reliable would be and how much would cost?

Thnaks

Konstantin
Old 02-19-2002, 09:58 AM
Alan C.
Rennlist Member

Received 1,060 Likes on 546 Posts
Konstatin

If I were going for more displacement I'd bore. I know you have concerns with Rob's engine. However, we haven't heard the final from Garrity.

There are other people out there boring these engines and making them work. Scott Gomes has several out there as does Millidge, Broadfoot, Speedforce, HR and Garrity. I haven't personally heard of that many bored engines blowing up.

I think what you have to realize is that the pistons/rings along with the rod bearings become items which need to be replaced. Scott has told me that it wouldn't be a bad idea to replace the pistons every other year. And when you think about it none of us that are doing this type of modification are using the engines to go back and forth to the grocery store.

Again as I posted on Robbs board I am seriously thinking of converting a 968 engine to a turbo charged, destroked and sleeved 2.6 liter. Great combo for GT3-S/R. I think 450 hp and reasonable reliability are doable.

Alan
Old 02-19-2002, 03:37 PM
Konstantin
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
yes you are right. I wanted to bore it but after all these problems that rob had/has I am more carefully.
I am not sure if Garitty will come with a solution.
I mean he should already know what was the problem if it was easy.
On teh other hand there are some bored engines outthere but I really didn't know of many people who wnet further than 3.0L. I know only of a 3.1 L Miledege engine on this board. Otherwise I never heard of one that it used for many km without problems.
Either nobody knows exactly what is the problem or nobody want to tell the treuth about that.

Konstantin
Old 03-13-2002, 07:55 AM
CBass
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have seen 3.2's around, not exactly sure how bored and how stroked. I think you're all bloody mad to want to bore this thing out any more. 400 bhp, 400 ftlbs, just bolt on the requisite 951 mechanicals.
Old 03-13-2002, 07:28 PM
cruise98
Three Wheelin'

Received 24 Likes on 13 Posts
I recently spoke with a Mahle distributor that told me he had a listing for the 968 turbo piston in standard size only. Not sure if the stock 968 rod is OK for that application or not. At the time I was not too interested, but the bores in my recently purchased used engine are worn out, so maybe I need to find a good 3.0 engine instead of hanging with the 2.5L.

You can also get the 2.8L turbo pistons in first oversize (100.5mm). This is a tempting solution to my current situation.

Just another rabbit trail for more displacement.
Old 03-17-2002, 06:38 AM
CBass
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I need to find low compression 104mm pistons. Did the guy mention cost? Right now this will be the difference between a 2V or 4V motor for my Turbo S 968 replica.

Quick Reply: boring and/or stroking a S2/968 block