944 & 944S Forum 1982-1991

How should a Porsche owner act

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2001, 09:57 AM
adrian jaye
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up How should a Porsche owner act

My Personal Code of Conduct as an Owner of a Porsche Automobile.
----------------------------------------------------------------

My Porsche will always be clean and well presentable. I will ensure that my car is in the highest state of mechanical condition and maintenance. Some are indeed rare, and to see one is a special experience. I have an obligation to present my car to others at a high standard.

I will always be polite, courteous, and friendly. I will not talk down to or ignore anyone, and I will cheerfully answer all questions. Porsche owners wrongly suffer from a "snob" label. By actively and always countering this, I will strive to change this perception among all whom I meet.

Where feasible, I will encourage inspection and observation of my Porsche. If someone is clean and courteous, I will encourage them to sit in my car. I will actively encourage photographs. In particular, I will encourage this among younger children. On occasion, I will offer rides to admirers under the appropriate circumstances.

With one exception (see below), I will obey all traffic laws or local traffic customs. Especially, I will pass other cars only in marked, safe passing zones, and I will always respect traffic speeds and noise ordinances within city limits. I will always drive in a defensive manner to protect myself and my vehicle. I will not initiate nor will I respond to challenges to race my Porsche on open public roads.

Operating my Porsche as Ferry intended will occur only on open, rural routes free of heavy traffic or on appropriately designated race courses. On public highways, I will use my highest powers of observation and diligence to ensure that I place myself, my vehicles, and the public in no additional danger. I will be aware of the environment and road conditions, and I will not drive at excessive speeds on unknown or suspect roads. When approaching blind corners or hills, I will assume that an obstacle exists and will take appropriate defensive measures.

I will share my passion and excitement for Porsche's with others through community service and charitable events. I will actively seek out community organizations such as local police departments and schools and offer my car for use in events/programs, parades, rallies, etc. Many communities have "Make a Wish" foundations for sick children. If given the opportunity, I will offer a day with myself and my car to such organizations in an effort to brighten an otherwise trying life for someone less fortunate than I.

I will be honest and open with other enthusiasts, and I will accurately represent my Porsche to prospective owners and buyers. I will keep complete records, and I will always follow up with purchasers of my car to ensure that they continue to gain maximum satisfaction and appreciation for cars that I have owned and serviced.

I will always have a smile on my face when inspecting, driving, or showing my Porsche to others. I will never forget how fortunate I've been to own such an automobile and I will constantly remind myself that the future is uncertain, and that today may be as good as it gets.
Old 11-08-2001, 01:39 PM
hitbyastick
Three Wheelin'

I completely agree with all stated above. However, I sometimes sit on a light and some lowered Honda with some wanna-be racer type of guy in it pulls up and looks at me as if saying "I don't like you because you drive a Porsche" and wants to show me "how it's done" or something, I find it hard not to go full out on the throttle and see if I can't at least keep up with him. But the thing that get's to me is mostly, if I beat him he won't think much of it, since he got beaten by a Porsche. But if he beats me he can say I beat a Porsche. See what I mean? It's not really worth it to me and besides, my car is 27 years old, and even though the engine has been rebuilt a few years ago, I still don't want to risk it falling out of my car. I love driving my car for the fact that I can just take the top off and cruise around at night in some style. It's not for racing for me, even though when I drive with someone in it I get encourage to do so.
As for your "code of behaviour" I think that's fair. IF every owner would be like that. Seeing that I drive a 914, and people with 911's don't always acknowledge it as a true Porsche, it is hard to do to show my respect. It was somewhat heartwarming though when I went to the grovery store with the top down, and some 10 or so year old kid was like "whoa that's a porsche". And then "Mom I want one". It's little things like that, that make me proud to drive a Porsche.
Old 11-09-2001, 05:05 AM
adrian jaye
Instructor

Cheers Hitbyastick

you got the point exactly unlike some other people

peace out
Old 11-26-2001, 03:08 AM
16v 944
Track Day

I would have to say that the whole reason the porsche snob image started is because some people feel the need to act different because of what they drive.

Quick Reply: How should a Porsche owner act